msconfig question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevhatch

I was disabling a couple of programmes using msconfig yesterday when I noticed that there was a programme with nothing under the startup item column or the command column, just a registry location. The same thing is on my other pc which is connected to my home network. I have disabled it on both pc's with no adverse affects (so far) Is this something I should be worried about?
Thx

This is something I'd like to know more about myself. I have to say, though, that anything that wants to hide itself can't be good. I see that on several computers that come to the bench—and I uncheck it always. If I can find a similar, "blank" registry entry, I delete that as well. I've never had any bad consequences but maybe I've been lucky. I imagine it could be one of a variety of things from keycapture to a trojan. Anyone out there that can give us a little more education on this?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I think these UFO's are left behind by a bad UNinstall progam and can just be deleted or unselected, although the entry is doing nothing in the first place.

This can be confirmed by running REGEDIT and browsing to the referenced key and checking the appropriate entry.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online