1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Msconfig-Startup items...XP...questions...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by parrotplay, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parrotplay

parrotplay Thread Starter

In XP, How does the items that are in Msconfig under the Startup tab get in there and checked to startup? I have some things, like Keen Values...not sure what they are, why they are there...but unchecked them, as other items are so they don't slow the startup down...how do I delete these off the list? And...how would I put items into this list? I would like to have the MS Works Reminders I have set in the Calender in MS Works to notify me of any appointments, notes I have entered as currently I have to go into MS Works, if I remember, and pull up the calendar and the reminders...would like that to be automatically set so I get reminded...not have to remember to be reminded!!
    And, would like to know how to "clean up" the things I do not want to have, in the startup list. And...how do these get on the Task Bar...and how can I remove the ones I don't want...and off the properties list also.

Thanx...parrotplay
    will be so helpful to know this...I should know this but cannot figure it out...and searched here before having to post...thanx!!!;) :D (y)

2. $teve

$teve

parrotplay.........."keenvalue" is spyware.......Highly likely you have others.
    go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the SECURITY forum.

It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

3. parrotplay

Hi $teve! Thank you for helping me. I don't know how any spyware could get past all the stuff I have...AdAware 6, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Browser Hijack Blaster, X-Cleaner, Spyware Guard along with Norton AV. What am I missing? I do believe that this time Keen Value got in, downloaded 2 games from GameRival. Know they have Keen value...and had removed them except...these in the startup, msconfig. Never had them go there before...and want to remove. Any suggestions as to what I need to avoid this in the future...will be very appreciated from this Calif Girl!! Thanx!! I will run the log (know it by heart now, just about!)...and off to the Security Forum....

4. bogi

bogi

Many Software vendors will arbitrarily place there program to launch at startup....i.e. Virus programs routinely run at startup...a GOOD thing...Games & other nuescence programs also place themselves in the "launch at startup" category...a BAD thing...because this can cause long startup times.

I use a third party software called "Startup Control Panel 2.7 by Mike Lin". It is freeware & works very easy to both "add" & "remove" startup task. It overrides MSCONFIG and lets you choose what you want started.

I am not familiar with the Reminder proggie your talking about. Perhaps it has an option in it's "configuration settings" to launch at startup. Or you may be able to do a Schedule Task in Windows XP to say launch every 15 minutes...but if you did that it would launch every 15 minutes...like it or not!

5. parrotplay

Thanx bogi ! Will try to find that startup control panel 2.7...sounds like something I can really use. And...duh!! Why didn't I think of the scheduler for the calendar and reminder????

Hey..appreciate it! If you remember where you found that program...get back with me...thanx!

6. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

Go into control panel, under admin tools and in services and disable anything you do not wish to run.

You can go to www.Blackviper.com and he lists everything that needs to run and what they are. You can set your comp for networking, normal mode, safe mode or gaming. Find which column fits you and start adjusting.

Also turn off everything that loads up in the task bar on start up, it only takes a click or two to turn something on and this will help your comp start up faster as well.

7. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

8. bogi

bogi

Startup Control Panel is a free DL at:
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

If you already have SpyBot installed it also allows you to check your starting programs (and remove those you don't want). Look under Tools -> System Startup.

10. parrotplay

A big thanks to you all...what a great help!
    Bogi-went and found Mike Lins site, but cannot seem to download the app...just goes nowhere...any hints?

MysticEyes...great advice...have Spybot, went and actually used what I had...duh!!:eek:

And all...just a big heartfelt...thanx for your time and help!! Its a learning process...to say the least!! And am learning...thanx!:D ;)
    parrotplay....Lee(ann)...
    now...lets see what other trouble I can get myself into now....:p

11. mobo

mobo

Compare this to your msconfig startup list. As for the services running under administrative tools, compare those with this list for possible shutdowns as well.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice