1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msconfig will not save changes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdjr, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdjr

jdjr Thread Starter

While trying to deal with a problem which caused Roxio Media Manager to attempt to reinstall with each boot, I needed to turn off the service using msconfig. Even thought I am logged in as an Administrator, I get the following error message when I attempt to apply the changes.

"An access denied error has occurred while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using ad Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I am running Windows XP, SP2, on an ancient Dell laptop. I cured the Media Manager issue by uninstalling my Blackberry Desktop Software (of all things), but the msconfig issue persists. I have McAffee anti-virus Plus, so I assume this is a Windows and not a malware problem. I have tried changing other services, with the same result. Anyone have an idea?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You should not be unchecking any services in

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Services(tab)

The entire list should remain checked.

If you need to change the "startup type" in any services to Automatic or Manual or Disabled, do it in

Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You can do it from Start > Run > services.msc

Or, you can do it from the registry.

Click Start > Run > type regedit

Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Locate the service for Roxio Media Manager.

In the right-hand pane, look at the DWORD Start.

The last number at the end of the entry will be either:

(0) for Boot.

(1) for System.

(2) for Automatic.

(3) for Manual.

(4) for Disabled.

If you want to change the value, double-click on Start and change the number accordingly.

4. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Well, I did read that in a XP os, the only true way to access the Actual Admin User is to do so via a boot in the Safe Mode...... then you find the true Admin User. I'm trying to find a link.... dunno if that will help this..

5. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Something I did find, just might explain why I can't install a NT update..... I can neither confirm/deny this is correct, source is..... http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeOffice/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24808

"source quote"
    "Greetings,
    As Windows XP makes serious inroads into the home and small office/home office (SOHO) market, frustrated power users are asking me a lot of questions. The most common question is "What happened to the Administrator account?"
    Two situations typically give rise to this question. The first is when someone running XP tries to install a legacy Windows 2000 or Windows NT application that will install or run only under the Administrator account. The second situation occurs when someone configures a home computer to allow limited access by children or other family members and wants to maintain full access for only the Administrator account.
    If you're using XP Home Edition and want to maintain an Administrator account, you might have a big problem. In that OS, the Administrator account is available only when the computer runs in Safe Mode; you can't create an Administrator account that's available in any typical mode of system operation. This limited availability hinders the Administrator account's effectiveness in managing the computer."

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

7. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

most virus scans will lock registry locations like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run since some malware will try to insert their entries there, when it gets locked, msconfig wont work.

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Regarding the message:- "An access denied error has occurred while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using ad Administrator account to make the specified changes."

It isn't unusual to see that message when you click on Apply, then if you go on to click OK, restart you find the change you made to the settings actually took place. At the other extreme, it may indicate that something has modified a Service to protect it and that would be very suspicious.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I agree. I've seen this many times. Even had it on my own computer a few years back. All would work normally after ignoring that message. Never did find out why it was doing it though, and since I needed to reformat, well, what the heck... :D

It's a known issue:

http://www.pchell.com/support/msconfig_access_denied_error.shtml

11. surferdude2

surferdude2

rotarysteve,

Did you try the tool I linked in post #6 ?

12. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Hi,

I did give it a peek, but it is shy of an explanation..... I'll work on getting that NT update and will start a new thread if I continue to have problems. This isn't my thread....

Thank You!!!!!

13. surferdude2

surferdude2

:D I'm sorry steve, I lost track of who was on first 1st. :D

The tool is safe. Bill Castner is very knowledgeable and has been around quite a while on these help forums. You can Google that tool and get a full rundown on it. I understand it will reset some critical file permissions back to default, thereby correcting certain access problems. The tool can be right-clicked > edit and read what it does. It's just a batch file renamed with a .com extension so no secrets.

http://wiki.pcworld.com/index.php/MMVP_Castner's_%22FixPolicies%22_vs_Dial-a-Fix's_%22Policies

All the best,
    dude

14. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Thank You SurferDude2....

link is good read as well. Sounds like a matter of a 1 or zero somewhere in the registry.

Dunno, I will have to retry the install to give details as to what microsoft is trying to do and the following result. Then I can say-what it says-the problem is. The update file is already loaded on the computer, but it just won't install.

:) Thank You!!!!! :)

15. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

SurferDude2

Might as well sneek this in here, I re-tried my update last night and it when through quickly. After the 4th-5th try.... dunno... me computer can be fussy at times I guess. Managed a bunch of other updates after that, only one failed. Will have to play with that.... Thanks again for your ideas!!!

steve

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice