1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSConfig WIN.INI

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lightglobe, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightglobe

lightglobe Thread Starter

I was browing MSConfig and I notice "viRobot" CHECKED in the tray. Strange as I believe that viRobot is part of Bit Defender Micro (Hauri) Spyware programme, which I uninstalled three years ago. I have been having strange problems with my computer since that day, and I was looking at UNCHECKING it, and whether this could be part of a hidden file left behind by Bit Defender (Hauri), when uninstalling?

I do remember when I uninstalled Bit Defender those years back and soon after that all my computers began to function strangely, as Bit Defender left an aggressive "blue screen" and threatening virus message warning on my computers, when I booted up the next day. Not cricket!

Any thoughts?

Attachment below.

Thanks for your answers

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Submit a screenshot of the "Startup" tab so we can see which entries in the "Startup Item" column are checked.

--------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK.

Do you see any entries in the list that are associated with BitDefender or ViRobot or Hauri?

---------------------------------------------------------

ViRobot is associated with Hauri ViRobot Internet Security.

3. lightglobe

Hi Flav,

Nothing listed in "services.msc".

Screen shots below.

Thanks mate.

Attached Files:

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    GoogleToolbarNotifier and Microsoft Office can be unchecked.

Go to the C:\Program Files folder.

Are there any folders still present for BitDefender or ViRobot or Hauri?

5. lightglobe

Unchecked all noted, and nothing in Programe Files.

Thanks.

6. lightglobe

Thanks again Flav, am closing down for a few hours, as it's time to go out---8:30AM my end.

7. lightglobe

Hi Flav,

Home again (1:45PM),

I guess it's safe to uncheck that ViRobot entry.

I did a "search" in "files and folder, and hidden files" but nothing could be found of any Hauri or ViRobot entry.

Thanks.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There probably won't any problem with unchecking it.

Apply the change and then restart the computer and then see if you notice any new "glitch".

Be careful where you poke around and change things in the System Configuration Utility window.

9. lightglobe

Hi Flav,

Did such, by unchecking. Can't seem to see much difference, but I do notice that IE8 is still acting the same as usual, and being unstable.

The only changes I have done to the Sys Config is the advice you had given me. Yep, I will not touch it.

Don't know Flav, if it has settled down, as we had some big frame work by our server, Bigpond, and could be part of the problem. I do have what appears to be an internal problem with my Word 2000, thats only appeared over the past few weeks, as it takes a long time to PASTE, 20-30 seconds sometimes, after copying from an article on Internet.

Sorry for the delay in answering, as I was just checking this site, when I realised that I didn't answer.

Thanks again for your time and advice.(y)(y)

Regards

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You need some "hands on" help with that computer.

I can't do anything from here about your issues with the Bigpond server and Microsoft Word 2000.

11. lightglobe

Thanks Flav,

I understand that IE can't be sorted out, but I believe that what the real reason for that could be caused through those cleaners I had been using for sometim, and they could have corrupted something. I've decided to uninstall Word and then reinstall, and download all the updates from MS.

Thanks again Flav,you help is appreciated.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The end result of using registry "cleaners" is a damaged operating system and broken programs and error messages.

It can difficult or impossible to repair the damage, and sometimes the best option is a hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows and programs.

13. lightglobe

Thanks Flav,

Yep appears to be a lesson learnt, but the cleaners I used were for removing all the Internet garbage, and didn't touch the registry side.

I love my Win Xp Towere, but I guess after seven years it's time to close it down. I have another laptop Win Vista, and I hardly use it, because of love my set up here and all my programmes that came with the purchase at the time. Therefore, I have no CDs for the programmes.

So, it looks as though I will pension it off and start using the other computer.

Thanks mate.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

-------------------------------------------------------

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice