1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msconfig

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by derekminivan, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. derekminivan

derekminivan Thread Starter

i was trying to increase my laptops performance and trying to either remove unnecessary startup items using "msconfig" or to remove corrupted files from my hard drive, and i restarted my laptop and everything, but now everything has gone from my desktop. loads of programs in the "Start" menu now dont work and say "class not registered" when i click on them. Only the programs in "All Programs" work, but i have to click "Run as Administrator" for them to work, not even the sound works?? truth is i have no idea what's gone wrong, and i cant really remember what i did for it to happen, i would be eternally grateful if someone could cure my ignorance :):)

2. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
    Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. aks56h

aks56h

Trying restoring your pc to nearest checkpoints it works dont worry. Do this in safe mode

4. derekminivan

ive tried to restore in both safe mode and normal windows startup but it says i have no restore points, yet i created a restore point a few days before the problem.

5. derekminivan

i tried to do this, but i can download it but when i open it, it doesn't work, i cant download and open files like that now.

6. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

What did you mess with or change in these tabs?

Attached Files:

7. derekminivan

i genuinely cannot remember what i did exactly, im not being very helpful. The only major thing i can mention, is in the start menu the tabs on the right hand side say "Class not registered" so i cant open "My Computer"

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unless your hard drive is faulty, there were no "corrupted files" on your system. Where did you delete files? Are they recycled?

It looks like you may need to reinstall.

9. derekminivan

The problem is i dont know how to check where the deleted files are. what do i need to reinstall do you think?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Reinstall Windows and your programs.

11. derekminivan

ive tried that, but when it starts the process of reinstalling it, it doesn't work

12. Phyxiis

Phyxiis

Backup any documents/pictures/songs/etc. before this!!! Next step will DELETE ALL information!!

Boot the computer using a Windows 7 DVD and perform a clean install (will DELETE ALL information) and then reinstall your applications and transfer your documents/pictures/songs/etc.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

What does "doesn't work" mean?

14. ILoveXP

ILoveXP

You probably disabled some important services from running. Go to Services and enable ALL of them (I guess), then restart and see if that works. Then at least you'll know that was the problem, and then can try carefully disabling ones you don't need

15. derekminivan

and how do i open services?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!