1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSE and Win7 (64-Bit)

Discussion in 'General Security' started by alicez, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

We were thinking of installing MSE on our Win7 (64-Bit) computer and wonder if anyone is using MSE with their Win7 (64-Bit) computer?
    If so, how are they getting along together?
    Can you set MSE to Manual Update, so it doesn't automatically update? We really do not like any updates/downloads, etc., running automatically in the background.
    Thanks for any help.

Alice

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I'm useing MSE on Win7 x64 with no problems. Yes you can turn the autoupdate off (I have myself as I hate it interfering with my gameing). A note worth mentioning is I've used the Win 7 task scheduler to run the MSE update at a time convenient to me (because I had windows update set to only notify me of updates before downloading them I wasn't getting the MSE definition updates)

3. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Thank you.
    We are using AVG 9 on the Win7 (64-Bit) and were hesitant about updating to the AVG 2011 because of the problems we were reading about on the AVG forum about folks trying to install AVG 2011 and having problems with Win7 (64-Bit). And that is why we were thinking of deleting the AVG 9 and installing MSE instead.
    Have you ever used AVG on your Win7 (64-Bit)? If so, why the switch to MSE?
    Glad to know we can disable to auto-update on MSE and do it manually. Can we do it manually any time we want? As you said, you used Task Scheduler to set a convenient time to download. Would we have to do something like that, or could we just open MSE anytime we wanted (maybe once or twice a week) and do the updates then (manually)?
    Thanks again,
    Alice

BTW - I was referring to the definitions updates (not version upgrades/etc). Can that Auto-Update be disabled?

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I was actually a long time user of AVG Free, stuck with it through the switch from v8 to v9 and had no problems installing 2011 on my Win7 x64 rig when I got it. Was having minor false positive issues (not unusual for AVG) which didn't bother me to much however I was one of the many that had Win7 brought down by an AVG definition update (couldn't even get back into Windows after it). Decided at this point to look at alternatives, AVG's reputation has been waning any way so I trolled the forum here and noticed a lot of people who's opinion I trust had switched to MSE and were recomending it to others ... gave it a try and am content so far.

Yes you can update the definitions manually, only drawback is its a 3 click process (1. open the interface 2. click on the update tab 3. click the update button). I wish you could do it right from the icon in the system tray, but that ability is not there. Don't think its a good idea to update it only once or twice a week (if you are connected to the internet more), personally I tend to do it once a day (new definitions seem to be typically released twice a day)

edit- actually it looks like I might be wrong. With the newest release things have changed and it looks like MSE will update through the windows update service as well. This link may be worth reading

MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice