1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msg.exe pickup help

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by andythepandy, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andythepandy

andythepandy Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I have written a macro in Excel which fills the contents of a .bat file with:

"C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe /Server:" + server + " " + user + " '" + msg + "'"

and then runs it.

The server, user and msg vars are all got from what the user enters in the spreadsheet.

Is there any way possible to pickup messages, send with the msg.exe command, that have been sent to the computer?

Thanks very much,
    Andy

2. Sponsor

3. andythepandy

To elaborate.
    I think that the messages sent with "msg.exe" are picked up with a service that is alwasys running. (I think it may be Terminal Services, but i may be completely wrong!)

I would like to find a way to detect incoming messages and grab the info. from them; i.e. the author and the message.

It would probably be very complex, but i'm thinking of doing this in VBA in excel.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andy

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Messages are picked up by the Messenger Service, and displayed by the Alerter Service.
    These are normally disabled on XP SP2 and later versions of Windows.

Afraid I don't know how to intercept them though.

Jerry

5. andythepandy

I'm affraid I can't use messenger as i am on vista and it was removed with net send and stuff like that.

Thanks for the response though,
    Andy

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I know it can be done because I have seen third party utilities that do this that work with XP and Vista. I have no idea how to code it though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice