1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msgina.dll fails to load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmc, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

My formerly cool computer continues to tick me off! I've been having a hardware problem, which I've traced to the video card slot, and am currently troubleshooting. The problem will cause my computer to completely fail to start - BIOS codes and all that. Working on it though, this isn't my question.

An unrelated problem has cropped up, though, perhaps related to problems I posted earlier...

Usually (but not always) after reboot, I'll get an error that msgina.dll failed to load. It suggests copying over a new one. I've done that, and it still fails to load on the first cold boot, but loads on reboot.

Anybody here seen this before, and can offer suggestions?

(on a side note, what do you use - besides an eraser - to clean the contacts on your AGP or PCI boards?)

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

The file has something to do with Winlogon. Look HERE for some info on this. Also, a search of MSGINA on GOOGLE provided a wealth of info on why you are having your problem.

To clean contacts, I use Ethanol obtainable from a electronics shop, maybe Radio Shack It's the oils from your hands etc etc that can cause contacts to erode.

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I had googled for an answer before posting.. tried again with a different search, but still haven't found an answer that fits my situation. I did note that it seems to be a common enough problem for Windows 200o Pro SP3...

I've already tried replacing msgina.dll, to no avail. I saved the old file as *.sav, and replaced it with a copy from the D:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. Hmmm. now that I think about it, perhaps I should copy an OLDER version of the file. Had to do that with the scsiport.sys file when the system started having problems with that file right after installing SP3...

I don't have problems with msgina.dll every time, either: after posting earlier today, I left my computer, came back to find it frozen again (darn, gotta work on that!) and when I rebooted, it did so without a hitch.

I hadn't installed any new software before I started receiving the error, but I *have* been having system problems - quite suddenly last week the system wouldn't boot - just gave a BIOS beep code for bad/missing DRAM - traced that to (possibly; not so sure now) a DDR RAM stick gone bad. Removed it, rebooted and all was well - for about a day. Then I got the same boot error. I was pretty sure there was actually nothing wrong with the other stick. I'll keep the story short: During troubleshooting, eventually the system gave a different BIOS code, one that indicated it couldn't see the video card.

Haven't finished troubleshooting, but I either have dirty contacts on the card or the AGP slot, or problems with the circuitry - the RAM slots and the AGP are quite close together at their ends... eliciting a "hmmm..." from me when I put that fact together with the two BIOS beep codes. The RAM slots are *very* tight. I think I may have just learned that purchasing a lubricating contact cleaner would be a good investment...

At any rate, after the first time this happened, I had system freezes, and during troubleshooting I deleted a few devices (duplicates) in safe mode, causing Windows (for some reason) to lose apparently ALL the drivers, but it reinstalled them all. Had a bit of trouble with the onboard Promise controller drivers, but eventually got the system running. This is when the msgina.dll error started happening - after the drivers reload.

:rolleyes: Hmmm... I'm thinking I already have the answers to my questions: buy some lubricating contact cleaner, clean the card contacts and slots, and replace msgina.dll with the older version from the CD.

Waddaya think?

4. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Well...

I did as I said, and took the system apart, cleaned all the contacts, replaced the cards, etc. Removed the heatsink, noted that there was quite a bit of dust around the CPU, and decided (for no readily apparent reason) to install the CPU shim that I purchased and didn't use before - at the time I thought since the new heatsink/fan went on pretty easily, it didn't need the shim. I was right.

First boot, got the memory error. Pulled the bad memory that I'd put back in (yes indeedy it is bad). Subsequent boots, nada, then a hot electronics smell. Not good - I was letting the smoke out! Fried the CPU.

Just went out and bought the cheapest CPU I could find (for testing) - a Duron 850. Everything is running well - for now. I had tried installing the "possibly" bad RAM, got the RAM BIOS error, removed & rebooted, and all seems well.

Now I gotta post a problem on my *other* system, when I tried to get online last night. Not my week for computers....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/99359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice