1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Msi 58x Platinum Motherboard Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Umbrella Corp, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Umbrella Corp

Umbrella Corp Thread Starter

when it turn my computer on it takes ages for it to get to the boot-loader stage, the fans go to 100% and there is a blank screen for a good 10 seconds before the boot-loader kicks in.

any suggestions on how to fix it ?

2. TekTime

TekTime

Sounds to me like a BIOS issue. Are you using the original settings (in BIOS setup)?

3. Umbrella Corp

i think so, i did an update yesterday and its still the same

4. TekTime

TekTime

I couldn't find much information on your motherboard as far as that issue you are having.

One possibility is the CMOS battery could be very low and need replacing.

Your current BIOS itself could be an issue as well, many times BIOS updates and revisions cause issues and cause the need to "rollback" to a previous "stable" BIOS (if possible)

Another possibility is that you could have a bad RAM stick(s) - or even a bad slot(s) (which isn't too common).

Lastly, you could have a bad or underpowered power supply. (How many watts is your PSU and what model?)

**Do you have any problems with stability once you are logged into Windows?

5. Umbrella Corp

My PSU is 1000 watts so its fine. Also my computer has always done this ever since i built it regardless of the Bios.

How would i go about testing for a bad ram stick or slot ? systematically take them out? and reboot each time ??

6. Umbrella Corp

7. TekTime

TekTime

To test for a bad ram sticks(s), you could download and run (burn to disk) a program such as memtest upon bootup.

www.memtest86.com/

You could also remove one stick at a time and see if the problem still occurs. A bad slot is a bit more difficult to pinpoint but I would imagine that you memory should be fine if you are getting no crashes, or random errors in Windows.

Since you have experienced this issue since building the computer, I would imagine that it's just your motherboard/BIOS. What is the exact version of the BIOS that you are using?

8. TekTime

TekTime

9. Umbrella Corp

oh i didnt realise you need to set up a flickr account to view them, i tried to upload to this site but it kept failing, thanks for the help by the way

Edit: you dont need a flickr account to view videos, i just signed out and looked and it works fine

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You need an account for the first video link but not for the 2nd.

Have a look in the Bios for something like 'disable splash screen/logo' or 'quickboot'.

11. Umbrella Corp

this is the first video, you should be able to see this now http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4579310822/

also i just had a look and fast boot is enabled, and the logo screen is enabled as well.
    If i disable the logo screen it just displays what the bios is doing, logo screen just hides it so it looks prettier

*************************************************************************************
    Update

I just removed my graphics card as i noticed, that it was the fans on the graphics cards that where going 100% for the longest period, when i took it out and booted my PC the fans where at 100% for like half a second just like it should do.

So could the problem lie with my graphics card ?

its a Radeon HD4850 x2 2GB

12. Umbrella Corp

13. TekTime

TekTime

I would imagine that your video card would cause display issues, but I can't see it affecting
    the computer booting slowly. I still think that's a motherboard and/or BIOS issue.

14. Umbrella Corp

can it be fixed ?

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I suspect this delay is normal for your set up. My guess is the Power Supply, Video card(s ?) and the Bios are all doing checks before it starts showing a display.

10 seconds isn't so bad, I doubt there is a serious problem here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice