1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Msi 845e max cpu fan replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikayoung, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikayoung

mikayoung Thread Starter

Hi, All. I have a MSI 845E max socket 478 MoBo with the CPU cooling fan base (retention module) broken. This part came with the motherboard. Where can I find a replacement fan assembly and retention module that will use the existing motherboard holes? The ones Iv'e seen so far don't look like they would work. Any help appreciated.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Remove the retension mechanism from the motherboard and post clear picture of it, both top and bottom. Some OEM's used the standard Intel retension mechanism and some used a proprietary mechanism. Attached is a pic of the standard Intel retension mechanism with a broken retension mechanism hook which is the part of the assembly that is most likely broken on yours.

Attached Files:

3. mikayoung

mikayoung Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. After I posted, I found a retention module on the internet that may work. It was inexpensive, so I'm not out much if it doesn't fit. Your picture shows exactly what is broken on mine.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You have to be careful when buying these heatsink retainers. There are a lot of Chinese "knockoffs" sold on the net that are a really cheap plastic. The original Intel brackets are a polycarbonate plastic and fairly strong. I buy from a company where I believe the last I bought were $3.95 for the original Intel bracket.

By the way the Intel part number for that heatsink retainer is A65428-001

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice