1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSI GE70 Laptop Shuts off Immediately after AC Cord Removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Murs, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murs

Murs Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked a lot before in similar ways, however I'm going to describe my situation separately.

I have an MSI GE70 laptop thats a little over 3 years old now. About 6 months ago is when this problem began. I began not being able to unplug my laptop without it shutting off immediately. More recently, it has gotten to the point where it shuts off even when plugged in.

I've replaced the battery twice, the power cord once, and the DC power jack cord as well. I replaced the power jack cord a week ago hoping that the wiggle in the old one was the reason for the missed contacts/not charging. I was wrong.

When I pulled apart the entire laptop to replace the power jack cord, I didn't visually see any wires that were frayed/damaged...so I'm kind of lost as to what it could be.

The only thing I think that could've happened was that the fan blowing so hot (gaming laptop) melted critical components to the battery charging circuit. The fan already melted the side plastic guard off and is right next to the power cord hookup.

Additionally, right before it turns off, I hear this "metallic, electronic?" CLICK...once or multiple times and then it shuts off.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Cheers :)

TL;DR - Laptop shuts off when unplugged. When plugged in and under heavy load, hear a metallic CLICK and then it shuts off.

2. aspie

aspie

I was going to suggest replacing the battery, but you already done that, so

If you melted critical components on the charge circuit you need to replaqce the charge circuit, that circuit is not just for charging the battery, but also for distributing power. If you know how to work a digital solder gun then you may be able to fix the damage to the board.

Electrolytic capacitors, resistors, diodes, (and if you know what your doing) fets and transistors are all replaceable but before doing anything look for any damage to the charge board PCB, if there is damage there you need to buy a new charge board,
    7k to fix damage to the PCB is not worth it.
    However if there is no damage to the PCB and just to components on the PCB than you could fix it for £5 and have spare parts.

Additionally before doing anything, get the model, serial and vershion numbers from the charge board and download a To Scale Schematic of the board so you can print it out and trace out the power rails and V's that will be involved in any components you will be working with.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Even assuming you have the skill to do it by the time you buy the equipment needed to even attempt to fix a PCB with Surface Mounted components on it (don't forget it's a laptop) the cost would be a lot more than £5.

Also what 'power/charge board' are you talking about ? The only one I can see is a power switch (which is irrelevant) everything else is on the motherboard.

And where would you get the 'To Scale Schematic' from ? For free ?

EDIT : I'm trying to help the OP here, not attack anyone.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice