1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSI GT70 Laptop connects to boingo wifi then disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mastersnake39, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mastersnake39

Mastersnake39 Thread Starter

Laptop will connect to iPhone tethering perfectly fine, but won't connect to Boingo network for more than a few seconds. Issue started about a month ago, each fix I try only works for a few days to a week before the issue happens again, and I can't use the same fix to take care of the problem. I've reinstalled the drivers for my killer 2200 multiple times, did a system restore, used command netsh winsock r, disabled and re enabled the wireless card, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapters. Each only worked temporarily and won't work again for the issue. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    What operating system are you on?

You say you are connected for a few seconds. What happens after that few seconds? Are you completely disconnected from Boingo? Are you still connected, but just don't have Internet?

3. Mastersnake39

It disconnects completely, tells me no wireless connection. It seems to be an issue when I first start my laptop now though, haven't put it in sleep mode in a while and it's still connected so far

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Please try to answer all questions when replying a post. What operating system are you on?

When you say it tells you no wireless connection, are you still able to see your wireless network and other networks as well, no wireless networks at all, or all wireless networks except yours?

5. Mastersnake39

I'm on Windows 8.1, and I still see the networks, it would just attempt to connect for a minute or two, then disconnect. Applications like steam would show it has a connection during that small period of time as well before the network manager would tell me it failed to connect

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I'm going to guess other devices don't have an issue connecting, such as your phone.

If so, since the issue only seems to happen on startup, it's probably a program or service that's running at startup causing an issue. What I would do is try booting into safe mode with networking. If the issue doesn't occur, then I would look at what programs are running on startup. You can disable all and then start enabling them one by one until you find the culprit.

7. Mastersnake39

Alright, I'll be sure to do so next time the issue pops up. Hasn't happened in a bit now, so it could be quite possible some update fixed the issue. Thanks for the information

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Have you restarted your computer lately? I'm not sure if you're saying the issue seems to be completely gone (even when restarting your computer) or you just haven't turned it off for a while and that's why the issue hasn't been present.

Additionally, you say an update may have fixed the issue. What updates have you applied? And have you done anything else? Just trying to get an idea in case the issue is actually resolved and what you did to resolve it for anyone who reads this thread in the future.

9. Mastersnake39

I've had some windows updates happen lately that required a computer restart after installation, and some updates for game clients like steam and origin as well. The computer connected with no issues after each reset so far.

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would guess that it would be more likely that if anything resolved the issue, it would be the Windows updates, but I guess if Steam or Origin were configured to run when the computer started, they could have caused the issue as well. Thus, an update to them resolved the issue.

Do you recall downloading Steam or Origin shortly before this issue occurred or changing any settings/updates for it?

Either way, glad the issue has disappeared. If you experience anything in the future or have more details, please share. Additionally, if you believe the issue to be resolved, mark the thread as solved. If you want to wait a few days to be sure, that's fine as well.

11. Mastersnake39

I'll leave it open for a few more days, just in case. To answer your question about when steam and origin were installed, I've had both of those programs on my laptop for the past 2 years I've owned it.

12. Mastersnake39

So the issue has come up again now that I had my laptop in sleep mode for a few days. It'll connect for a few seconds before saying it couldn't connect them retry connecting. Keeps going in that loop.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice