MSI gtx780dxr - Charging issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ShadowATR

Hi there,

The only issue I have with my laptop is that it doesn't hold charge, and the computer performance drops massively when it is not plugged in (simple games will struggle/jitter, which is not normal for the power of this laptop). I have replaced both the actual battery and the charger and it still isn't fixed, so I have no idea what else to replace?

Thank you in advance!

Hello ShadowATR,

Are the new battery and AC adaptor exact like for like replacements as the originals.

Many brands of notebook do not like anything other than their own exact charger and battery with Dells being particularly choosy about what they will work with.

Other than the battery and charger there is also the internal power circuitry which is responsible for both mobile operation (as opposed to plugged in) as well as controlling the recharging. If the circuit is not right, or if a part of the circuitry is failing this could account for your the unit discharging the battery even when off. You can remove the battery after charging and between uses to avoid that, and test to see if it holds its charge that way.

ShadowATR

Hello ShadowATR,

Are the new battery and AC adaptor exact like for like replacements as the originals.

Many brands of notebook do not like anything other than their own exact charger and battery with Dells being particularly choosy about what they will work with.
Thank you very much for your responses, I greatly appreciate it!

They're not exact like-for-like replacements, but when I purchased them I checked other reviews for the same/similar models of laptop and they did state that it worked fine for them as well. So I'm not entirely sure where to go from here?

Other than the battery and charger there is also the internal power circuitry which is responsible for both mobile operation (as opposed to plugged in) as well as controlling the recharging. If the circuit is not right, or if a part of the circuitry is failing this could account for your the unit discharging the battery even when off. You can remove the battery after charging and between uses to avoid that, and test to see if it holds its charge that way.
I have tried removing the battery too etc, but it just doesn't "know" if it's charged or not. It'll state "89%" (as an example) and yet if unplugged for a few minutes the performance will massively drop, and it'll just turn off.

Does this all explain the complete loss of performance when unplugged too?

It's too bad you can't try your battery and charger on another laptop of the same model to see that they are not the issue. At that point you would know it's inside the laptop and something is causing the battery to drain. I hate to say it but the repair shop seems imminent. Home repair of laptops is not for the squeamish. finding a leaky or swollen capacitor on the power board is one thing, replacing it is another and no guarantee that's all that is wrong on the board.

Hello ShadowATR,

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the notebook + any links that you may have to the replacement charger and battery.

kenbok51 has touched on a notebooks charging circuitry etc so only a couple of other points really, the condition of the DC jack port and the wrong voltage/amps of the replacement charger can make a difference as can the diameter/length etc of the charging tip on any generic replacement charger.

ShadowATR

Hello ShadowATR,

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the notebook + any links that you may have to the replacement charger and battery.

kenbok51 has touched on a notebooks charging circuitry etc so only a couple of other points really, the condition of the DC jack port and the wrong voltage/amps of the replacement charger can make a difference as can the diameter/length etc of the charging tip on any generic replacement charger.
It's an MSI GT780DXR-290UK.

The replacement battery I purchased is:
http://www.power-supplier.co.uk/ie-laptop-battery/3252/MSI/GX780R.htm

I can't seem to find where I purchased the charger from, so either I didn't purchase a new charger (probably because it does keep my laptop powered) or I can't find where, but I'd suggest operating on the assumption that I didn't because if so it would be somewhere in my email history.

Take a look at the two replies of david here which go some way to explain why MSI gaming notebooks may need to be kept on mains power.

Not sure on how good the replacement battery is but it will only be as good as the charger and the charging circuit on the notebook, being nearly seven years old things may just be showing their age.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online