1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSI K8N Neo wont boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blkbeltolson, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkbeltolson

blkbeltolson Thread Starter

This was a fully functioning computer(Athlon64 3400+), until I pulled the CPU out to due to it running hot from too much much thermal compound. All I did was take the CPU out and clean all the crap off of it, put another thin layer of compound on, and put it back in. Now when it starts its hanging. According to the D-Bracket led's it says its hanging on the keyboard controller error. But if you watch the lights from start up, the very first thing it checks is the processor, it passes that and moves to the next check wich according to the book is the "early chipset detection" and that is where it gets stuck, except its saying keyboard controller error. Ive tried Resetting Ram, Video, Even tried removing all hardware what so ever, and still same thing. Tried resetting the CPU multiple times, same thing. Tried clearing Cmos, nothing. I'm thinking maybe the CPU got damaged, due to the fact that a small dot of compound got on 2 of the pins. I cleaned them off with alchohol and a real small brush. Any Ideas? Otherwise I'm going to have to order another MB and CPU cause I dont know what else it could be.

Thanks.

Hound : no, this isnt the same computer as my last post. I am posting from that PC.

Also, There are no beeps UNTIL I unplug the power, or hold the power button. When it shuts off, I hear a little Chirp, not a beep, but a chirp.

2. The Hound

The Hound

You just knew I'd ask...

Try unplugging the keyboard, booting up, and plugging the keyboard back in.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When you pulled the CPU chip out of the motherboard and cleaned it Were you grounded properly or did you just handle the chip with your bare hands?

Either way the pins on the bottom got touched and the CPU chip being a static-sensitive as it is probably got damaged by static-electricity and some of the inner traces which are CMOS material have been pitted and this causes the CPU to work erratically.

Actually I have never heard of thermal overheating due to too much thermal compound being on the CPU and heatsink but if there was too much there it apparently is not the first time this has been taken apart. Companies that build these units are so cost conscious they will only put just the right amount on every time and if there was too much on it their QC would have caught it.

I think your CPU processor is on the way out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice