MSI Laptop randomly hangs and makes static noise from speakers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nigtelf

Hello I just joined this forum in desperate need of help, been searching the net for days without any help :/

So the problem is my friend brought me her laptop ( used to be my old one ) an MSI GT780DX that I installed windows 8.1 on I been trying to fix it for weeks now, It randomly hangs while making a static noise from the speakers, sometimes it does it before I log in other times it happens after days of gaming, I tried formatting the computer and reinstalling windows 8.1, I tried switching out the ram, I also tried switching the hard disk, but nothing seems to help, I'm not that tech savvy, but I know how to get information and use it, currently studying IT Support, but this computer keeps failing on me, I think it might be worth mentioning that this computer has been split 3-4 times with everything disconeccted and reconeccted, please help me getting desperate :/

managed

Allan
Hello I just joined this forum in desperate need of help, been searching the net for days without any help :/

So the problem is my friend brought me her laptop ( used to be my old one ) an MSI GT780DX that I installed windows 8.1 on I been trying to fix it for weeks now, It randomly hangs while making a static noise from the speakers, sometimes it does it before I log in other times it happens after days of gaming, I tried formatting the computer and reinstalling windows 8.1, I tried switching out the ram, I also tried switching the hard disk, but nothing seems to help, I'm not that tech savvy, but I know how to get information and use it, currently studying IT Support, but this computer keeps failing on me, I think it might be worth mentioning that this computer has been split 3-4 times with everything disconeccted and reconeccted, please help me getting desperate :/
What exactly do you mean by that bold text above ?

Nigtelf

Ehmm like I opened the case and took out the parts, for cleaning and inspecting ^^ like removing the ram from the motherboard and so on ^^ was that okay explained? xD English ain't my primairy language so having a bit of problems translating in my head ^^

managed

Allan
Ok, thanks for explaining.

Have you installed all the drivers from MSI ? Any yellow ! or ? characters in Device Manager ?

If you removed the heatsink from the Cpu have you installed new thermal compound ?

Nigtelf

Hello :) Yeah installed all the drivers from MSI, and yeah applied new thermal paste, no drivers seem to be outdated :/

Nigtelf

Right now i'm having some problems turning it on will reply again as soon as it decides to turn on again :)

Nigtelf

Hey I just got it up and running checked and nope nothing in the device manager :)

managed

Allan
Can you check the temperatures ? You can use HWMonitor free for it :- http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Scroll down that webpage and use one of the purple download buttons on the left.

If that is impractical see if you can quickly get into the Bios when it shuts down and read the temps in there.

The only similar sound problem I've seen (heard?) was caused by heat damage.

Nigtelf

Hello Managed, I been trying to force the computer for some time to fail again while having the HWMonitor open, I managed now the info was as follows

Micro Star International Co. Value Min Max
TZ00 28C 28C 28C
TZ01 30C 30C 30C
THRM 54C 33C 58C

Intel Core i5 2430M
Voltages
VID 0,786 V 0.781V 1.206V

Temperatures
Core#0 51C 28C 58C
Core#1 46C 28C 57C
Package 51C 28C 58C

Powers
Package 14.63 W 3.13W 26.04W
IA Cores 11.46W 0.33W 22.30W
Uncore 3.17W 2.78 4.45W

Utilizations
UC 18% 0% 80%

WDC WD7500BPKT-22PK4T0
Temperatures
Assembly 29C 26C 30C

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M
Voltages
VIN0 0.800 V 0.800V 0.850V

Temperatures
TMPIN0 41C 33C 45C

Clocks
Core 51MHz 51MHz 525MHz
Memory 135MHz 135MHz 1500MHz

Utilizations
GPU 21% 0% 72%
Frame Buffer 23% 0% 43%
Video Engine 0% 0% 14%
Bus Interface 0% 0% 12%

managed

Allan
Hi, I can't see anything to worry about in the info you posted.

EDIT : I'll have a think and get back to you.

Next time it hangs, unplug the power supply. If the static noise stops, you have a short in the region of the power socket on the mobo or the power supply is failing. If static noise persists, I'll show myself out.

P.S. Try running it with the sound input/output board removed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online