1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSI motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I have a question about a MSI mobo with the VIA Pro266 chipset. It says it supports DDR SDRam and SDRam. I kinda remember when these dual memory boards came out that both memory types didn't work simultaneously... is that still the case? The product info for it didn't mention anything about it. So anyway... my question is can you use both types at the same time?

2. rugrat

rugrat

No. What board is it, I only see 5 different pro266 boards on their website. Unless you have different sockets the sdr ram will not even fit. DDR is 184 pin, SDR is 168 pin.

You can down load the newest manuals here,
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/chipset/via_kt266.htm

Click on your board then click manual at the top of the next page.

SeeYa

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

The board I'm looking at is the link labled "Pro266" in my first post. Sorry if it was confusing.
    I posted the link so you could pull it up from MSI's website, but I'll just list it here. Supports 3 DDR SDRAM DIMM up to 3 GB, and 2 SDRam DIMM up to 2 GB. I suppose it doesn't matter what speed DDR does it? It didn't say so I guess anything from PC-1600 to 2700 will work... no?

4. rugrat

rugrat

Thanks for the info,
    You are correct, the manual says nothing. I went to www.crucial.com and they recommend pc1600 or pc2100 for ddr and pc 100 or pc133 for sdr.
    My guess based on other dual ram type boards, ypu probably have to run one or the other.

SeeYa

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You cannot install both types of memory on ANY motherboard. You have to use one or the other.

6. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok thats what I thought. I knew that was the way it was, and wasn't sure if it was still that way. I changed my mind though on it because I found an ASUS that was a little better for the same price. Same specs except it was onboard 3Com LAN. What are your thoughts on cheap CDRW? Are they worth the money you save?... or do they make too many mistakes?

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

The only "mistakes" I've seen with CDRW disks occur when they're written using packet writing rather than burning them as CDRs.

8. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

So if I get a cheap CDRW say $50 for 16x10x40 or so I won't need to worry about having an abundant supply of coasters? I usually go for quality more than saving a few $$ but right now I have no choice. I already have a P4 and need to replace another computer here and so I'm not getting another P4... and so anyway I spent to much building the P4 but it is completely loaded.

9. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

I thought you were referring to cheap CDRW disks, not drives. I would never buy a no-name brand CD-RW drive to save money. Quality is poor, support is non-existent, and drivers are hard to come by. I'd rather keep using my relatively slow CD-RW drive which turns out one coaster every few hundred CDs than purchase a fast drive that isn't reliable.

It's a decision you have to make based on your needs and finances.

10. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Yeah ok that is usually they way I do it. I would rather have a Yamaha or a Plextor but I found a good Sony 12x10x40 for $70 on uBid so I am satisfied. It also burns double density discs... I haven't seen those anywhere... have you? Do you know how much they go for and are they worth it?

11. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Also... I have been looking for this ASUS board with the VIA 266 Chipset... it is supposed to sell for about $85 retail but everyone on the internet sells it for $120 or so plus shipping... and nobody here in town sells many computer parts. Do you know of where I can find that for a good price? The reviews I read on it were really good. Looks like a great board but I can't find it for a good price, so I may need to get a different one.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice