1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msmsgs and phantom read writes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MadMac556, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MadMac556

MadMac556 Thread Starter

I'm running XP pro on a Gateway P4 1.6 Ghz, with broadband cable as my acess to the web.

I have numerous questions, but let me ask these two. I have found a file in task manager which appears to be from msn. The file is MSMSGS.exe. I have tried to disable it, uninstall it, and stop it from loading in startup, to no avail. I followed the instructions partially shown below, to modify the sysoc.inf file in order to make it show up in the add remove programs, and thereby uninstall it. However, its still there and it still loads.

sysoc.inf. mod.

You can open that file in notepad. Look for the following line:
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
    and remove the word "hide" while leaving the commas on place. Close and save the file, and then open the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel, so that you can remove it like any other program."
    I have ended the process and process tree numerous times in task manager, with no luck. It returns almost as fast as I stop it. I have also unchecked the box that enables it to load when I start outlook express, but it still loads there also.

Maybe Im just stuck with it? However if so, it would be nice to at least know why?.

My second question is difficult to describe. My computer seems to be acting up for the last 6 months or so? It seems to run slower than usual, and occasionally locks up now, but I still hear the hard drive doing its thing. Also in the task manager, there are several applications which seem to be “constantly” running. Maybe they are supposed to, but I do not recall them doing that prior to the last 6months. The largest of which is one of the svchost.exe Local Service with a size of 17,937,489 I/O read bytes…. AND COUNTING.

I have tried to decipher this stuff, but mostly what I accomplish is a headache. I’m about ready to give up. I guess I need to take some IT classes eh? Anyway, if you can be of “ANY” assistance, it would be much appreciated. Also, if you would like, I would be more than happy to run this hijack this program and post the information to you. Please help.

2. Cookies

Cookies

This will help.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3703

I also have had good success renaming MSN Messenger in the registry. If you change your mind, it's easy to revert.

G.

Edit:

Problem #2:
    "My computer is acting up for the last 6 months or so? It seems to run slower than usual, and occasionally locks up now, but I still hear the hard drive doing its thing. Also in the task manager, there are several applications which seem to be “constantly” running. Maybe they are supposed to, but I do not recall them doing that prior to the last 6months. The largest of which is one of the svchost.exe Local Service with a size of 17,937,489 I/O read bytes…. AND COUNTING"

Here's a few things you can try:

1) Delete your temp files offline (*tmp and *temp);

2) Use a spyware removal utility like ad-aware:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

(don't forget to check for updates and run scan now);

3) Update your AV online and run a full scan OFFLINE;

4) Run an online virus scanner like bitdefender:

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php

..or housecall:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

5) Start/run type in "msconfig" and uncheck any tasks you don't need/apply/ok and reboot. (First create a restore point or write them down in case you need to recheck them.... good rule of thumb you'll only need antivirus, software firewall, and any special graphics, sound or optical keyboard or mouse drivers -- the rest should be unchecked). Disconnect and reboot; see if that helps;

6) Remove unnecessary prograrms in add/remove programs;

7) Use the disk cleanup utility;

8) Defragment offline.

9) Check for Windows updates.

PSS: Welcome :)

3. MadMac556

MadMac556 Thread Starter

Ok Cookie, …. {Nice name),

Here Goes,

The following is additional information based on your reply, but before I go there, I must say thank you very much for the information you have provided. Very much appreciated ma’am. Very much indeed.

As for prob. #1: I am going to review that in the next couple days. Currently no time. Will post pertinent information in coming days.

As for prob. #2:
    Item 1: I have deleted 5 .tmp files and zero .temp files. (I try to keep things Neat and clutter free.) That’s one reason I think there is something wrong with the system.

Item 2: I already run Spyware and always check for updates and run full system scans. (Quite often of late due to current problems.)

Item 3: Already run Norton AV 2003, with auto updates and as above, run full system scans quite often of late. (Actually have never run a scan online.)

Item 4: Will download one of those programs and getting it running tonight.
    However, Norton AV has a an auto protect function which I keep running.
    Would this be the same thing, or are the two you recommended more effective
    than NAV? Would you suggest running both?

Item 5: Already running tasks / services at what I think is a minimum, while at
    the same time, trying to remain well defended against threat. (Wish I could say,
    “I pitty da foo who try to break in to my house”, but maybe they’re already in? ;)

(I hate to be a bother, but maybe you wouldn’t (or someone) wouldn’t mind taking a look at what I have running? I can post or whatever may work? Being
    I only really know enough to be dangerous, it is entirely possible my bare
    minimum is actually me hangin’ on way to tight and over protected

Item 6: Have removed several, however, there are a few more I will be sending
    to file 13 in the near future.

Item 7: I run Windows Disk Cleanup prior to all Defrags. Is it effect or would
    you suggest a 3rd party?

Item 8: I run Windows defrag fairly often. Is it effective, or would you suggest a
    3rd party?

Item 9: I have Windows set to notify me of all updates, and to date, I cannot
    recall denying one. When I run manual scan, it doesn’t find anything.

Note: Drivers are also up to date as far as I can tell. However, I wouldn’t place
    large sums of paper money on that horse to win, place or show.

Also Note: In addition I have enabled and run Net Nanny’s Ad-free and the Spybot “Permanent
    Internet Explorer Immunity” function, and the “Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet
    Explorer function.”
    No, I’m not paranoid, I just know how much trouble I’m having trying to stay ahead of the rat race. I
    don’t think I would enjoy falling behind and in a catch-up position. “Always lead… it’s a nicer view”.
    {Ok.. most of the time;)

So again, I thank you much for you recommendations, and I apologize for the heap of additional info.
    I just have to get this thing hammered out. It’s personal now.

I’m also considering dumping everything, formatting drive, and starting from scratch. Not looking forward to that with any great joy. May have move the coffee pot into office for that one.

(Where did you learn all this stuff?) I stumble upon things, however I cannot seem to put it all together.

Anyway, thank ya much. (Again)
    Out.

4. Cookies

Cookies

Item 4: NAV should be adequate; but a second opinion’s always a good idea and both of these are free. Different anti-virus software can return different results. Personally I like (and use NAV) but have a few exceptions. You sound more diligent than most at updating your definitions; so I suspect you’re in good shape I use intelligent updater – which provides a daily NAV definition update (M-F); holler if you’re interested.

(I hate to be a bother, but maybe you wouldn’t (or someone) wouldn’t mind taking a look at what I have running? I can post or whatever may work? Being
    I only really know enough to be dangerous, it is entirely possible my bare
    minimum is actually me hangin’ on way to tight and over protected.

Please do. Post 2 screenshots.

#1) Start/Run and type in “msconfig” (no quotes). Uncheck all but necessary ones, apply/ok/reboot (labeled screenshot1)

#2) Ctrl/Alt/Del and click on the “processes” tab. (see screenshot2) Look at the “CPU” column and see if any of the applications are using a lot of your resources. If you’ll note my biggest offender is at 2, and I have 25 processes running using 12% of resources (viewed at the very bottom). This will help determine if something suspicious is running. If you have a big resource hog post it.

Another thing I’d recommend is setting a restore point in XP. Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore/create a restore point/next/name it and “create”. Then, Start/run and type in “services.msc (should look like screenshot #3). Now using this link, (this will take 10-20 minutes to do) page down and look for the 7th column marked “safe” http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Change your services configuration to match the safe column and reboot.

Item 7: I haven’t had trouble defragmenting in XP; however, had a devil of a time with NT and found a 3rd party defragmenting utility best for that operating system. “If it ain’t broke; don’t fix it.”

If you’ve done all of these things and still hear your hard drive working when no applications are running, I’d say you stepped in some “doo”. We can fix that too with other utilities though.

Don’t format just yet…

Where did you learn all this stuff? Stick around, we’ll make a geek out of you yet. :)

I'll come back with screenshot #2 and #3

Attached Files:

5. Cookies

Cookies

Screenshot 2

Attached Files:

6. Cookies

Cookies

Screenshot 3

Attached Files:

7. MadMac556

MadMac556 Thread Starter

Impressive.....

Quite a bit of information to review and implement. Cannot thank you enough for the time you have given me. I will review and put into effect what I am able, and advise as to result

8. Cookies

Cookies

Sounds good; glad to help. Good group of folks I'm finding out :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice