1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msmsgs.exe accessing internet

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by thardman, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thardman

thardman Thread Starter

I am using Norton Internet Security on an XP Home system and my Norton's comes up all the time, whether on-line or not, saying that "...../msmsgs.exe is preparing to access the internet". I have disabled the startup of Messenger from "Services" and I have disabled auto start-up from Outlook Express. I guess my questions in order are:
    1) If it has been disabled, how can it be trying to access the internet?
    2) If it really is trying to access the internet, for what purpose?
    3) If it is trying to access the internet automatically and I don't want it to, how do I make it stop?
    4) If it's not really trying to "open a door" that I don't want it to, how can I just make the message stop popping up on my Norton alert bar all the time?
    I appreciate any help anyone has to offer!

- Tony

2. Miz

Miz

First thing to try is to open Messenger, go into Preferences and uncheck anything referring to its loading on Windows startup.

If that doesn't work, you can uninstall Messenger completely by going to Start>Run and typing (or copying and pasting from here):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Click OK (or press the Enter key) and Messenger will be gone, never to prod your firewall again.

3. JenniferLore

JenniferLore Banned

FYI Thardman:
    The messenger service you disabled has nothing to do with msmsgs.exe

These are two different applications

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice