1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN 4.5 removal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Grandpaj, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grandpaj

Grandpaj Thread Starter

Hi

I have just installed MSN 7.5 and am wondering should I uninstall Windows Messenger I understand that Windows Messenger is different to MSN. In any event I am unable to uninstall MSN4.5 and I get the

" Error Message. - Shutting Down - MSM has experienced a problem and can not continue. If you are running short of memory please close some programms and try running MSN again."

Even just left clicking on the MSN Installer on the desktop, I get this error. I have tried to uninstall thru Add/remove pgms, but get the same message.

Anyone got any advice please.

Many thanks

Grandpaj

2. Dude044

Dude044

3. Grandpaj

Grandpaj Thread Starter

Hi DudO44

Many thanks for that. Im not sure whether I should just leave MSN 4.5 on my computer.It appears that Windows Messenger needs to be there.

Cheers

Grandpaj

4. Dude044

Dude044

no problem Grandpaj. Just for the record i did uninstall 4.7 before i installed 7.5

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Shouldn't matter but safe to uninstall it too.

6. Grandpaj

Grandpaj Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Many thanks, however am unable to uninstall thru Add/remove pgms.

Cheers

Grandpaj

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Then you either didn't do it right or are not on SP2. I do it all the time.
    Add/Remove Programs look on the left side of box and click "Windows Components" then scroll down there and uncheck Windows Messenger and hit apply. The ability to uninstall this was part of the Microsoft antitrust setllement 2 years ago so it has to be doable.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice