1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN and AIM

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rrruff, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rrruff

Rrruff Thread Starter

I hope this is the right place to put this as I do not know what the problem is...

Both AIM and MSN do work just fine; however, I think there's a hiccup in my line just enough to knock me off AIM and MSN (sometimes mIRC if I'm using it), although, it won't actually really kick me off from surfing the web or downloading something. I am on Wireless internet with a WRT54G Linksys Router.

I do see that if I am playing Counter-Strike, it'll show a quick-spike but not enough to kick me off line; however, this is getting fairly annoying and I would like to fix it, or find a way to tell my ISP they need to fix it and point them in the right direction because they don't know what the hell they are doing apparently.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Sometimes when I get a custom emotion it'll kick me off, too. So now I am beginning to think I might need to reinstall MSN -- Should I bother with that? And if I do, how do I make sure I get rid of all the registry keys and such MSN comes with?

I use the Linksys Wireless checkup, not the windows one... so I don't know if that's an issue or not, too -- but I never had a problem up until I moved to a different house.

Rrruff

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

The wireless can be your problem right there. That little "hiccup could simply be lag which you are more susseptable to network lag. Especially online gaming is a place i would not use wifi. The best way to game online is using a wired connection. As for the other stuff. If you plug in and the lags still exist (plugging your computer directly into the modem, then its your isp who has to look at their end. If it is just the wireless it is your side. Especially if the network is encrypted the connection does have tendency to occasionally lag a bit.

3. Rrruff

Rrruff Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try plugging in but I never had problems with wireless doing this before.

Anyway, I'll give it a go -- Any suggestions I can do if I want to stay wireless? I mean, if MSN/AIM is cutting off when wireless, there's gotta be something wrong. Wireless is supposed to keep you online...

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Like i said there could be a number of factors to why your cutting off. I know my computer when it is first set up will drop the connection left and right and then just stop. If it only happens wireless a good thing to do would be update the firmware of the router and your wifi card's drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice