1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN and UPnP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dudeking, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dudeking

dudeking Thread Starter

Always had problems with msn messenger not connecting but I think I've just found the problem. I disable UPnP on my router and msn works perfectly. Enable it again and msn cant connect.

I looked at the UPnP portmap table and it looks like this....

Active Protocol Int. Port Ext. Port IP Address
    YES TCP 32447 32447 192.168.0.9
    YES UDP 32447 32447 192.168.0.9
    YES TCP 29035 29035 192.168.0.10
    YES UDP 29035 29035 192.168.0.10
    YES UDP 62029 62029 192.168.0.10

Any reason this would stop msn connecting?

2. Anthony7

Anthony7

MSN has used UPNP to automatically forward ports to the computer, as you can see from the table these ports are in the dynamic port range, and will change whenever MSN starts(I believe it looks this way).

This means that you must have port restricted NAT, or a like setting on the router that is stopping MSN from connecting. I would try and look for a setting called :TCP endpoint/address/port number and address restricted UDP: endpoint/address/port number and address restricted. Change it to address restricted if you can, not all routers offer this option though.

This all being said UPNP is a huge security risk and was used buy the conficker virus to open a random high range port in firewalls to allow for a backdoor.

In short see if you can make the NAT device less restrictive, and shut off UPNP if you value security. If you could me a model of router I could better help.

3. dudeking

dudeking Thread Starter

Okay well the problem of MSN not connecting happens after I have used the MSDN downloader. So I believe it is that opening ports. But I don't understand why these ports being open stops MSN connecting? As soon as UPNP is disabled it works perfectly.

The router is a netgear dg834n.... msn uses ports 80, 443, 1863 and all those open ports are in the high 10,000's

Very strange...

4. Anthony7

Anthony7

All that I can find on MSN and UPNP is that it needs to open these ports for features such as voice and file transfers. You are right with as far as I can tell that it only uses the ports you listed in normal converstion.

I cant really think that MSN would stop you from logging in if you dont have these dynamic ports open, I have never had to port forward for any version of MSN so this is kind of confusing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice