1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN blocks all emails with jpeg attachment

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by glasskuter, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glasskuter

glasskuter Thread Starter

I am about to pull my hair out. I use Win XP Pro-MSN dialup internet access-and a hotmail.com email address.For some reason MSN will no longer let me send or receive emails that have attachments in the .jpeg or .jpg format. I get the error "access to the following potentially unsafe attachments has been blocked". I can go to the hotmail.com website and login to my email account & send these files just fine. The hotmail site uses Trendmicro.com virus scanning while MSN uses McAfee. I spent all afternoon trying to work with MSN tech support on this. They had me change everything except my underwear & would never consider the problem was theirs. This problem has only started occurring within the last few weeks. The files I am trying to send are family photos I've taken with a Sony digital camera & are not infected with any virus. Does anyone else have this problem. Thank you.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Assume you are acessing hotmail using Outlook Express?

If so, Tools - Options - Security - untick "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened...."

3. glasskuter

4. glasskuter

Sorry I should have put in my post that I use MSN Explorer-MSN mail. However it also happens using Outlook Express if I send the mail through MSN. I can use Outlook Express & log into my mail through the hotmail.com site & it works fine.

5. sekirt

sekirt

It could be McAfee. Don't know why it would start suddenly. But it has caused problems in the past.

This is a direct quote from a person that had a problem:

"Right click on desktop CLOCK and click on TASK MANAGER. Click on PROCESSES and scroll down until you see McVSEscn.exe, click to highlight this line and then click END PROCESS. A warning window will then pop up -- click "YES". That should fix the problem as it did for me. McAfee support said the fix will not interfere with the virus scan."

They do have a patch available, now. To search McAfee forums for help:
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

sekirt

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice