1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN Closing/Changing Chat 10/14..

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cookies, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cookies

Cookies Thread Starter

"...MSN are closing all their chatrooms in Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and most of Asia from 14 October, and changing how others are operated globally....

Chatrooms on MSN's other global sites will either be supervised - or moderated - by an adult 24 hours a day, or will be on a credit card subscription-basis only..."

More here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3133192.stm

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Wonder why they're doing that :confused:

3. Cookies

Cookies Thread Starter

I suspect one of 2 things:

1) to curb Internet abuse and children involvement -- which is what they cite;

2) there's revenue to be made by credit card procurement (read: security -- welcome to pay Internet!

Either way, they're discounting our UK, Asian and other friends, particularly those underage or those with no credit cards. Tsk!!

We talk TCP/IP, Mhz,...download speeds. Please! There's nothing inappropriate about that. Protests welcome here (mine's already posted):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3133964.stm

4. Gary R

Gary R

Will this also affect Messenger too? If so, may as well take it out when the date arrives :(

5. Cookies

Cookies Thread Starter

MSN Instant Messenger should still be free and not affected as I understand.

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude; but also posted my comments.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Having experienced this problem first hand within our extended family I believe it is a wise move attempting to limit and control chats. However, removing all Microsoft chat facilities I believe is not the answer but more a CYA maneuver or worse yet a financial plan by Microsoft. If well intended, the move may actually have unintended consequences as a few already mentioned within the links given above. "If the children have a mind to they will just move on to more obscure sites". There is no easy answer to this serious problem created by a few deranged and dangerous individuals and parental control and oversight really should be the key element, but alas, it is not!

Dave

7. starman2002

starman2002

I understand why they are doing it.There are too many of these twisted animals stalking children for sinister purposes and I think its more of a reflex action on their part because the day is coming where a court will one day issue a judgement of Microsoft's complicity in a child molestation case.The twisted that prey on the kids in chat have credit cards so this isn't the answer.Parents need to supervise where their children go on the net and who they talk to etc.And parents need to control what their child does online.Its their duty and responsibility.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yep I couldn't agree more ;) The problem is that most "parents" today had bad parents themselves, so they don't have a good role model. It also is a problem with parents that want to be their children's "best friend" and not be their children's "parent" so they allow these things to happen. Whether it's financial or legal, Microsoft is just covering their butt!

Yes there are other places that children can go to chat, but Microsoft was out in the open, and easy to get to. With them out of the picture it will be much harder for kids to find another chat room like Microsoft's and people are generally lazy so I'm sure that a lot of kids will just forget about using chat (not all, but some). I wonder if Microsoft will change anything with their NetMeeting program since they are so concerned about chatting...

9. Cookies

Cookies Thread Starter

All comments very well spoken :)

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

No they are keeping Messenger.

You just have to PAY for it first :p

In the United States, MSN will require users of its chat service to subscribe to at least one other paid MSN service. That way, the company will have credit card numbers to make it easier to track down users who violate MSN's terms of use, and the extra money won't hurt either ;)

11. Cookies

Cookies Thread Starter

Yikes Chicken :) !!

Here's what I'm hearing:

"Middle East, Latin America, Asia: All chat rooms closing;

US: Unmoderated chat rooms will be credit card subscription only and bundled with other products;

Canada, Australia, Japan: 24-hour moderated chat rooms, with some unmoderated behind subscription;

New Zealand and Brazil: 24-hour moderated chatrooms;

UK and Europe: All chatrooms closing"

PS: Forgive me for being selfish...but, what do they mean "bundled with other products??"

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!