MSN Connection Center trashed a computer. Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BackupBob

Has anyone had problems with the new MSN Connection Center?

Apparently MSN is asking their users to install it. I have been helping a non-technical friend correct the damage it has done to his system. I can use all the input I can get.

My friend installed this package and it worked OK until it asked him to select a new connection number. The change failed, he has spent six hours on four phone calls with MSN support speaking with people in India whom he cannot understand.

Each time they try to fix the problem his system gets worse and worse. Now they are saying that his system has a problem.

I Googled MSN Connection Center and found that there are a number of unhappy souls out there. Even if the pop-up box for this "feature" is removed, it re-installs itself later on.

One of the replies on a forum is reproduced below. It appears to be from a Microsoft tech support guy who did not identify himself as such. The language jibes with my friend's complaint about a slight failure to communicate.

"I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience. I would really appreciate if you can elaborate on the what things, in particular, were of concern to you and how we can make it better. Getting more specific information will go a long way in helping us meet your needs.

"Thanks in advance,

"Manish. "

My friend said the modem was OK until he punched in the new access numbers MSN gave him. Then, as he explained it, the tones became garbled when he was making a connection and the connection failed.

Tech Support had him un-install and re-install the modem. With their software installed his modem CD would not install its drivers. I finally resolved that problem but now the modem sounds funny when it tries to connect to MSN.

Microsoft has assured him that the problem lies with his system, not their software.

There was no problem until the new software was installed. MSN worked OK until it tried to update its phone numbers. When the connection failed MSN had him un-install his modem. It is no longer possible to install the modem drivers from the CD. So, MSN has expertly diagnosed this as a hardware problem. My guess is that the "defective" modem will suddenly start working again once MSN is removed from the system. Funny things, those computers.

If there is any doubt where the problem lies, this 05/24/05 posting on the Microsoft forum sums it all up.

"Dear Newsgroups participants,

"We have noticed that some of you have wondered why MSN Connection Center cannot be uninstalled from your computer while using your MSN 9 dial-up subscription.

"The reason for this is that Connection Center is an integral part of the MSN 9 experience. It integrates our key features; acceleration, location settings, online and offline help into one component, allowing our systems to work as a single cohesive unit. Connection Center also helps our customers find this key functionality in one interface, optimizing their user experience.

"We also understand that some of you have experienced problems using Connection Center. We recognize that, like with most version one products, Connection Center has a few bugs that we need to resolve. Please know that we will work toward resolving many existing issues in upcoming releases. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered.

"Thank you for your valuable input.

"The MSN Connection Center product team"

So, this is a 1.0 software release that is known to be buggy and the techs in India are telling people their computers are defective.

A posting on a usenet forum advised of a slowness problem. Microsoft recommended rolling back to MSN 8.5. The problem is that MSN will try to automatically update itself so this won't solve the problem.

"Is the MSN Connection Center something that is automatically installed, because I don't remember downloading it. My problem is...every since it has been on my computer, my computer runs soooo slow. (Way slower that before) It is on the "fastest" speed. If I can't get this figured out soon, I may be switching to another internet company."

The reply from MSN:

"Report it (complain and ask for advice).
"contact at the MSN Member Center (http://membercenter.msn.com)
or Customer Care Representative at 1(800) 386-5550
or MSN Tech Support at 1(877) 635-7019

"It installs as an autoupdate to v.9's
"You might try to go back to v.8.5"

So, in order to give us a new and improved MSN "experience" Microsoft has crippled a number of computers. How nice. I suppose my friend can simply download a patch, that is, if we ever gets his system back on the air.

Has anyone found a fix for this? Or is the fix called another Internet Service Provider?

Maybe I should move him to Verizon DSL. It works very nicely, thank you, and the "Internet Experience" is called a browser. Oh, and Verizon provides free MSN service with their package so his e-mail accounts will not go away.

I think the problem is the software and you should definitely change services. Just today I was servicing a customer's computer who had the same problem and experience. She was talking about the people in India who can't understand her and she can't understand....how lovely! :(
It's good that you found the Verizon service where they can still check their email. The MSN Connector pop-up would not stop; it must have popped up about 250 times while I was there. It keeps reloading itself as well. I recommended she export her email and go with a different service. I'm glad I saw your post, now I am positive I my recommendation was right.
Take Care :)

BackupBob

howy said:
I think the problem is the software and you should definitely change services. Just today I was servicing a customer's computer who had the same problem and experience. She was talking about the people in India who can't understand her and she can't understand....how lovely! :(
It's good that you found the Verizon service where they can still check their email. The MSN Connector pop-up would not stop; it must have popped up about 250 times while I was there. It keeps reloading itself as well. I recommended she export her email and go with a different service. I'm glad I saw your post, now I am positive I my recommendation was right.
Take Care :)
I suspect MSN does not like the fact that my friend is not on SP2. MSN Messenger wants to update itself and the update keeps failing.

Verizon does not have DSL in his condo project. Comcast has cable modem service, so in a few days I shall be helping him to get into the world of broadband.

As for the support from India, it is terrible. I posted an article on my Website about this sort of problem. It is pretty funny. The trouble is that it is not far from the truth.

I was composing a message on a forum when a winky-blinky ad for Dell kept popping up, announcing "Computers from Dell". Thus was born "Computers from Hell", featuring Rajiv in tech support. < g >

http://www.eagle-wing.net/FunStuff/Goodies/Support.shtml

I would just export his email and or contacts and manually enter them into his new email service. Emails, if push comes to a shove, can be copy and pasted. It would be nice to start a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for this. The computer protectors making security issue software....what next.
I like that joke about Raij in India...I had the worst experience trying to find specs on a customers computer while trying to talk to these ppl in India. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online