1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN evil browser causing restarts

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by john11m, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john11m

john11m Thread Starter

Hi,

So heres the scoop. I just built my first computer, and everything actually went perfectly well with all the building stuff, and even the initial software configurations.

Of course, the problem comes with something that is self installing when XP installed. MSN internet....

Ok, i have dial-up with MSN. What i did was transfer over an exhausting account with them, to the new computer. I installed MSN when XP loaded (i went through the wizard), and am using my old account name and password. It installed an annoying MSN browser that forces windows messanger to automatically log on, and the browser is extreamly limited (can't even change the homepage!!)

Buuuut, the system is unstable when going online. I get a RTC (something like that) error and XP automatically shuts down after a minute (even after i changed the error settings in XP so that it wouldn't automatically restart).

The system is very stable with everything except this. I ran prime95 overnight without any problems, so i don't think it is a general system instability.

So, the question is, how do i fix it? I already downloaded the updated windows messenger (like it nagged me 3 times each time i'd log online)...and i guess i haven't crashed since then...but i just did that a while ago.

Basically, I'd like it if i just had a plain jane dialup. Just connect, then go into IE or avant browser and not have to worry about all the crap. I tried to configure my own network thing (putting in the phone number and password, but i kept getting an invalid user name and password for this domain message).

Ok, sorry for the long and rambling post. I'd really appreciate any help i can get. Methinks the best solution is to kick MSN to the curve (even the older version i ran in win98se on my old computer had bugs. the "trayclient" never responded, and would freeze the system occasionally if you didn't close it via CTRL ALT DEL) Thank you for the help.

P.S. i have winxp without any of the updates downloaded yet (hard to download them when the internet crashes, heh)

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

uninstall msn8 and see if you can find an earlier version like msn 5 (to find it try a google search for msn 5)

3. john11m

john11m Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the help, but it turns out that i had the blaster worm. Apparently when XP autoconfigures everything, it doesn't set up a firewall, so i got blaster right when i first got online.

I still think i might try getting an earlier version of MSN. The browser really annoys me.

Heck, it even says "steffen" instead of "steven" when it welcomes.

4. snooker

snooker

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice