1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN Explorer Login Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack Clyde, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack Clyde

Jack Clyde Thread Starter

When I click the login icon for MSN explorer it has five attempts and then tells me to try later. It has done so for a month now. I tried the Microsoft site which diagnosed a security protocol problem, but their solution did not work. My computer uses Windows XP Home Edition

2. Miz

Miz

I've solved this problem by "changing" the MSN password. I didn't change it at all, though...on the "Change Password" page I merely re-entered the old password into the "New Password" field.

Go to http://memberservices.passport.net/default.srf and click on "Change Password." Eventually a login box will appear, enter your old password and see if it'll let you log in.

If it does (and for some unknown reason, it always has for me even when the "Log in" button hasn't worked), just type in your old password and then type in either a new password or the same one you've been trying to use, click the Continue button.

3. Jack Clyde

Thank you Miz.Unfortunately,your solution did not work. All that happened was the link displayed a "This Page Cannot Be Displayed Page"- A philosophical absurdity.
    I Hope you or anyone else can think of another answer. My level of knowledge suggests the next step would involve a can of WD40 and/or a hammer.

4. grybeard22

grybeard22

hi there jack
    In my former techy days as a tech for msn when explorer first came out it had all sorts of issue's with connecting lots of bugs..but as you know we couldnt tell the customer that ....lol

Anyway one of the bugs that we found for this problem was in the network setup or stack as we called it, if you remove the "client for microsoft" and reinstall it this usually will cure the problem or if when you get to the network setup "client " is missing this will also cause a connection problem with the msn explorer...simply install the "client for microsoft" and restart the pc and all should be fine.

Go to the start tab click on it and then go to the setting and then control panel....look for the network settings tab and click on that ..once in there look at the white box and see if "client for microsoft is installed ...if it is make sure that "client for microsoft " is in the "primary network log on " sometimes this will also cause the issue.

If you are using a dialup connection with a modem another way to get around the issue is to create a manual dialup in dialup networking and not use the msn software to connect with ...once you are connected just simply click on the msn explorer icon on the desktop and you are in!

hope this helps some
    have a great day!!!

5. Jack Clyde

Thank you grybeard. I tried your solution but no joy. It still tells me I cant be signed in and to try again later. That's about four weeks so I think I'll follow the advice in the family motto - "If at first you don't succeed, fcuk it, chuck it, never heed.

6. grybeard22

grybeard22

Hi jack
    lmao!! well thats about right and it is what I did with mine to !
    until I got cable internet I used an MSN account but didnt use the msn explorer....I just created a dialup connection with dialup networking and made a manual dialer ...all you need is the user name and password and you bypass all the MSN software ...worked fine for me anyway ...still got email and everything

hope you find a solution

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice