1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frustrated14, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frustrated14

frustrated14 Thread Starter

I'm am soooo frustrated!!!!! I've been trying to get my msn explorer to work for over a month now. please help. it says attempt 1...attempt2...etc until 5 but then never lets me sign in. I know my password is correct and I've tried a bunch of stuff. I also can no longer get into windows messenger...it say my password in incorrect. I also cannot get to my hotmail through internet explorer!!!! I'm seriously going crazy.

2. scmazter

scmazter

Yeh msn xplorer is really ****ed up these days. When u first open it, it wants you to create a new account, and then changes your msn settings to it. In msn, u should try log in as someone else, eneter you original account and password, and tick always use this person (or something like that).
    What exactly is wrong with hotmail?

3. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hello

You mentioned you cannot get into your hotmail either. I believe your msn messenger and hotmail account password are the same?

Anyway, go to www.hotmail.com and click on the help button.
    I clicked on resetting your password and got this:

To reset your .NET Passport password
    Go to .NET Passport Member Services and click I forgot my password.
    Type your e-mail address, and then enter the other requested information.
    Click Continue.
    Type the answer to your secret question.
    Type your new password, and then retype it.
    Click Continue.
    Note

If you have forgotten your secret answer or were not asked to provide it during registration, .NET Passport may allow you to reset your password by e-mail. You will see a Reset your password by e-mail link during the password reset process if this option is available to you.

Not sure if you have tried this but have your hotmail password reset and then use the new password for msn. That should do it!

Please let me know if you are succesful!

Pileyrei

4. frustrated14

I've tried everything. I made a new user, changed my password, everything!!! I can only access my hotmail through netscape. I've tried re-installing msn explorer and well as Windows messenger. As for my WINDOWS MESSENGER it said that either my password is invalid or incorrect. that's not right though...I can log on on any other computer just not mine!

I really appreciate the help though...got anymore?

5. frustrated14

oh yeah!!! when I try to get my hotmail through ie it says that the page wont dislpay.

6. scmazter

scmazter

Errr, might be a virus. When exactly did u start having problems with hotmail and MSN/windows messenger??
    Run housecall and see if it finds anything.

7. pileyrei

pileyrei

Download Hijackthis and post your logfile here or in the Security section. An expert should be able to tell you what to fix.

Pileyrei

8. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

Well the best thing to do is do away with MSN. Sad but true MSN and Yahoo both are riddled with problems. Though IE has its faults it seems to be much more stable. As for a messenger well again i would go with one like ICQ.

Example, My son and my mother both had MSN or Yahoo, and both crashed or messed up their systems even after they were both told not to use them. One reason you could be having problems is the fact you say you have MSN plus Netscape? You really should only be running one or the other.

Several reasons being, why have more then one program doing the same thing to save space and not to corrupt each other.

Should you feel the need to keep these then can and try to un install everything linked to them and sign back up either using a fresh name or login as past users with your old info.

P.S. Odd how MSN has so many problems when they are the front runner in the comp world. Go figure.

9. Jsssaved

Jsssaved

I am having the same trouble. I know that my password and sign in name are correct , but when i type them in all I get is an error page saying that the page cannot be displayed. It also asked me to change my network settings. Now I'm kind of new at this internet thing so if someone can help me I would greatly and forever be in their debt. HELP!!!!!!

10. scmazter

scmazter

Ok, lets get one thing straight, MSN 6.0 is the best, (by my opinion), but more importantly is free of problems. I have used it for months, with no problems. So if you're having problems it's something with your computer.
    It could be anything.
    A virus - run housecall
    A setting - Check all settings with your ISP (internet service provider)
    Software - If you have installed a new firewall, it is probably blocking MSN things, which it needs to work. First check by disabling the firewall, if MSN works then, try to disable/enable the options in the firewall one by one.

If all else fails, remove MSN from add/remove programs in control panel, and re-download it from www.microsoft.com (just seach 'msn')

MSN, is I recon the best one out there, and they just keep on making it better. From my experiece more people (that I meet online) use MSN then yahoo or ICQ.

11. frustrated14

Ok here is the log. I know I have a virus but this started happening way before I even got the virus. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I'm really going crazy. Another question...how do I check my firewall or if I have one. I'm not very good at this computer stuff, I'm slowly learning. thanks!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.3
    Scan saved at 12:16:25 AM, on 10/20/2003
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\Nhksrv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\DELLMMKB.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\LXSUPMON.EXE
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Netropa\OSD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
    C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = http://www.dellnet.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AHQInit] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Program\AHQInit.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellTouch] C:\WINDOWS\DELLMMKB.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXSUPMON] C:\WINDOWS\System32\LXSUPMON.EXE RUN
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launcher] "C:\Program Files\MLH\launcher.exe" /P
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PromulGate] "C:\Program Files\DelFin\PromulGate\PgMonitr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogonStudio] "C:\Program Files\WinCustomize\LogonStudio\logonstudio.exe" /RANDOM
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinServices] C:\WINDOWS\System32\WinServices.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoloSchedule] C:\PROGRA~1\SRNMIC~1\SOLOCFG.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [System MScvb] C:\WINDOWS\mscvb32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinServices] C:\WINDOWS\System32\WinServices.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System MScvb] C:\WINDOWS\mscvb32.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: PrecisionTime.lnk = C:\Program Files\PrecisionTime\PrecisionTime.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/chat/applet/c381/chat.cab
    O16 - DPF: {29C13B62-B9F7-4CD3-8CEF-0A58A1A99441} - http://fdl.msn.com/public/chat/msnchat41.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/chat/applet/v43/yacscom.cab
    O16 - DPF: {483912CF-8995-4434-AD61-6163756E05DF} (AXTNS Control) - http://download.livemath.com/activex/axtns.php
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E87A6788-1D0F-4444-8898-1D25829B6755} - http://fdl.msn.com/public/chat/msnchat4.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{428F69A4-C03A-428E-9968-54D160AE0607}: NameServer = 205.200.16.65 205.200.16.69

12. scmazter

scmazter

OK, there are a few programs there that might be virsuses. I understand you have norton anti- virus. Windows XP comes with a firewall (not a very good one), but mabye you have norton's personal firewall, to check just click start>ptograms>norton and see wats there.
    The first step is to remove that virus using norton antivirus. Run it, update it, then scan.
    MSN isn't probably blocked by a firewall, because well, I dont think you have a real powerful one like zonealarm, becuase of the hjthis log.
    After you remove the virus, try reinsalling MSN, like I mentioned earlier.

13. frustrated14

oki. I scanned for the virus and it cannot be repaired by norton or avg. I guess I'll just have to take my computer in?

14. scmazter

scmazter

So, wat you have a virus?? If the file cannot be reparied then delete it, also take a note of where it is located and post the location here.

15. frustrated14

How do I delete it???? it says it is

Worm/Lovsan.A

found in c:\windows\system32\mblast.exe

I tried finding it but I can't.

Thanks for continuing to help me out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice