1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN Icon Backup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Login Error, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Login Error

Login Error Thread Starter

Hey guys, i need to recreate my profile on windows, as its screwed up.
    I have managed to backup all of my settings for everything, but
    i do not know where MSN stores its custom emoticons and such.
    I have a large collection of icons that i dont want to loose,
    any help would be appreciated.

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

if you are using winXP

C:\Documents and Settings\(whatever your username is)\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\(your messenger account)\CustomEmoticons

You'll find them stored as .dat files not the expected .jpg .gif or .png and will have rather cryptic names like "TFR23.dat". If you want them to be restored to their proper extensions all you have to do is open them in a program like irfanview and it will recognize the incorrect extension and offer to correct it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice