1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN killed my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fireblade, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fireblade

fireblade Thread Starter

I think MSN killed my laptop - could of been a virus.
    Laptop was connected to the net. Wrote a message like "ok" and it appreared on the message window with added characters as "ok$P". Then tried "inbox" link, but then the explorer flagged up an error and what looked like a download window appeared so i immediatly shutdown windows, unplugged my network lead then tried to reboot it.

No luck...now it comes up with the windows logo with one stroke of the flashing bar and resets my laptop!! It will not recover using "safe mode" nor "last know config.." and i also tried the restore console by moving the backed up "system" from WINDOWS\REPAIR and still no luck doing the same thing!!

Have i been hit by a virus? Anybody got any tips to rescue my laptop?

2. doggard

doggard

Did you try a repair install using the Microsoft CD to boot from?

3. fireblade

fireblade Thread Starter

I know what u mean, but for some reason that option was not available. (i.e after the f8 lic accept i only had choice to do new install in new dir - no repair option)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you using a regular MS disk or is it a recovery disk from the laptop mgf?
    Many recovery disks do not have the option for a repair install. Some do and some do not.

5. fireblade

fireblade Thread Starter

Yes its the full MS Windows XP Pro installation disk. Something odd has happened. Since i replace the current system files which were backed up in the windows\repair folder, the installation disk is letting me repair it now?? Well i tried the repair, went so far with blue graphic screen saying how reliable windows was !! then asked for a "asms" file and it would look at CDROM drive so i cant do anything with it. It's looking like i have to wipe it. :-(

6. doggard

doggard

7. fireblade

fireblade Thread Starter

The only answer i had to my problem was to format and reinstall Win Xp Pro (same disk, same hardware) and all is now working fine. I'm putting this down to a virus as i originally thought, but im still intrigued into what virus it may of been and to try and prevent it in the future.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!