MSN Live Installation Strange Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nex Terren

This did not seem to be covered in the pinned topic and links provided, from what I could tell.

I downloaded the newest MSN Live Messenger, attempted to install it. It asked me if I wanted to add any of their additional features, and I said no, and it instantly installed the software, saying "you're done!" However, using Vista's start-menu search, and looking in program files, no version of either MSN Live or MSN messenger exists.

I tried redownloading, and reinstalling, and I got the same problem. I rebooted my machine, and redownloaded and reinstalled again, but this time adding on a few of their extra programs. These, unlike the core program, did not mysteriously instinaniously install, but instead took a few moments. These sub-programs showed up in Window's add/remove programs, but not MSN Live. I removed these extra programs, and tried again downloading the newest version of MSN, installing, and yet again I got the instant installation, yet no actaul file.

My machine is very new, and there should be absolutely no problems with the hardware being able to handle it; it is quite capible of doing anything from playing high-end games, to video editing, to internet browsing. I'm using Window's Vista for my OS.

Anyone know what's going on, and what I might do to fix it?

Thank you for your time,
Nex

muppy03

Chris
Its usually called windows live these days so search under that.

also when downloading its best to save it to desktop first (the installer) then run it from there.

Nex Terren

Alright, in light of what you said, I located two official links that both seem to download MSN Messenger:

Simply MSN Live Messenger:

http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

and 'All' Live programs:

http://get.live.com/wl/all

Neither of them work.

I've been downloading it to my download file, and running it from there, but I tried using the desktop like you said. No luck.

Also, something odd I noticed was that after trying to install both, I had installed a program called "Install MSN Live", or roughly that. I was wondering if that was hanging the system up, so I uninstalled that, and tried reinstalling both Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live (complete), and still no luck. Also that strange "Install MSN Live" program isn't showing back up in the Add/remove programs box in Vista.

muppy03

Chris
You need the installer. Once that is downloaded because you have vista right click the installer and choose run as administrator. even if your account is as administrator choose the 'run as admin'. It should place an icon on desktop. Even though you have picked a msn live messanger it will still install (to my knowledge as windows live)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online