MSN Messanger Clone HELP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Steven715

Hello i have downloaded a file for msn messanger clone called (filename) amsn-0_81.tar.gz i have extracted it in to my Home Directory and i am wanting to start it How can i do it? or do i have to install it?
I am Very New to Linux so please be patient.
If you have to install it how do you do that?
The Version i am trying out is Linux 9.1 and i am useing gorme.
Thanks for any help.

The first thing you should do is to cd to the msn sub-directory that was likely created in your home directory. There you should find a file named FAQ ("frequently asked questions") which will tell you how to install and run the package. If this doesn't answer your questions or you still have trouble, post again and we'll take it from there.

Hope this helps.

Steven715

Right i have tryed what the FAQ Says to do but when i run it (I am using the Run program) it dont do any thing but i am having trouble with the first line of test the FAQ Says

To launch it, do:
cd msn
./amsn
or if this doesn't work, try
wish amsn
If wish command doesn't exist, then you don't have tcl/tk correctly installed.
If "wish amsn" works, but "./amsn" doesn't, edit 'amsn' file and set the
correct path to 'wish' in the first line. By default it's set to:
/usr/bin/wish

And where it says launch it. How do i do this i am using the Run Program from the Start menu thing.

And this is my first line of the amsn text
#!/usr/bin/wish

What do i need to change this to

My user name is steven

Thanks For any help on this as i realey do need this

Try this:

1. Click on the main menu (the G-foot) and select the Run entry by clicking on it.
2. Click on the Advanced tab.
3. In the window next to the Browse tab, either:
(a) enter the full pathname to the amsn executable (for example, if you've installed it in your home directory, your path might look something like: /home/steven/msn/amsn). Note that you should not use shorthand notations such as ~steven; spell out the pathname instead.
or
(b) browse to the location of the amsn executable.
4. When the path appears in the box next to the Browse tab, click on the Run button.
5. Amsn should start; if it doesn't, post the error message and we'll go from there.

Hope this helps.

Steven715

I only have Run Program. And it dont have Advanced i will have a look arround for it thow and see it. But i could not find the Run Entery

Hmmm ... not sure what version of Gnome you're running, but here's another approach that may work out:

If you can create a terminal window (xterm, Gnome terminal, anything like that), you should be able to run the amsn executable. This is a bit more direct than using the "Run Program" method, which appears to be causing problems (for whatever reason). Try this:

1. create a terminal window by invoking xterm, Gnome terminal or your favorite terminal emulation program.
2. cd to your home directory, if you are not already there. Your home directory will likely be named something like /home/steven.
3. cd to the msn sub-directory
4. run amsn using the command: ./amsn

You should see a window appear where you will enter your login information. If you don't, post the results and any error messages and we'll go from there.

Hope this helps.

Steven715

Last night i Reinstalled Linux as It wont let me install now program or remove any. I clicked for the MSN and It worked Straight away.
THat is so tipical. I thank you Codejockey and i did try the Terminial and that also worked. Thanks so mutch for your help and patience!!! thanks Steven:) :D (y)

Sounds to me like you solved the problem -- and kudos for hanging in there and making it happen :)up: ). Glad to hear things are sorted out and you're proceeding full speed ahead.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online