1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN.messenger 5.0

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by army20, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. army20

army20 Thread Starter

Buy a new hard drive and what happens? Using XP my daughter downloads MSN.messenger and every time anyone goes online we have access to her hotmail & popups. We use AOL as our ISP. We all have different accounts so I'm not interested in reading her hotmail or chatting whith her Buds.
    I went to add/remove to remove the program but lo/and/behold/ it was there twice on the task bar but only once in add/remove . I managed to remove one but the other icon is still there and I can't find where to remove the other. We still encounter the same problem. I go online and my Daughters friends are popping up and trying to talk to me. Help!!!
    Rocky xxoo:confused:

2. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    One thing you can do is when MSN messanger opens up go to tools, Options, Accounts, and remove the password that is stored there. After you have done that, close the application. The next time you connect to the internet it will open MSN but it will ask for a password. All you have to do is close it down.

If you want a more perminant option, go to tools, options, preferences and remove the check next to "run this program when windows starts". This will prevent it from running on start-up.

If you do both things it will not load on startup and when it starts it will prompt you for a password. I would do both, just to be sure it doesn't start up in the future... unless you want it to run.

Good Luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice