MSN Messenger 7.5 running in Background

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nepsa

David
I am trying to stop MSN Messenger 7.5 process to stop running in the background.
1. I have unchecked "run this program when windows starts" in Messenger.
2. In Outlook Express I have unchecked the option to automatically log on AND uncheck option to display contacts.
3. There is no entry in Startup Folder
4.I changed the Msgsc.dll to msgsc.bak, but Norton 2006 keeps popping up it will not be able to check messages, so I changed it back to the .dll status.

And it stills runs in the backgroung!--- Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nepsa

find the exe file for messenger which is normally msmsgs.exe and rename it to msmsgs1.exe and it will never run again

LauraMJ

Administrator
Are you sure it's MSN Messenger and not Windows Messenger?

Nepsa

David
It is MSN Messenger. The EXE file is MSMSGS.EXE. I tried to change to MSNSGS1.exe as reccomended, however, windows would not allow me to do so.

Nepsa

you have to change the name of the exe file in safemode for it to work

or uncheck it in msconfig

go to start, click on run

type in msconfig

click on the tab that says startup

uncheck the program

that way, the program will still work but it will not run at your bootup

Nepsa said:
It is MSN Messenger. The EXE file is MSMSGS.EXE. I tried to change to MSNSGS1.exe as reccomended, however, windows would not allow me to do so.

Nepsa

MSMSGS.EXE is that the file name when you hit control alt delete? If it is I dont think it is the valid process.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online