MSN Messenger Hoax Hijack

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TrishConjure

Tuesday evening, I received an e mail from someone who identified themselves as net.messenger saying it was a security update. I contacted MSN support prior to opening the mail and they assured me that it was from MSN. My OS is WIN95 and the message said to click on the link in the document for the download required for messenger users, which I did.
What resulted, was an update to WIN95 and an upgrade to MSN Messenger 5.0 which is not compatible with my OS. Later, I got an error that told me that an older version was being downloaded and it reverted, in part anyway, back to the 4.6 version.. MSN Support said the error was due to the "softpub"dll not being registered, and asked that I register it.
I did, but could still not use messenger, nor access my email.. My third call, I was told the truth. That the email was a hoax being sent to WIN95 users to cause them to upgrade to a
version not designed for WIN95, thus disabling them. They said that they knew nothing more about, it but had a few of their staff looking into it. They told be to remove the MSN Messenger 5.0 and to run the repair tool on IE5, which I did. Then to remove the 4.6 version of Messenger, but it would not leave. The tech thoughts was because parts of it were missing>He said that I needed to download a fresh copy of MSN7 and that would fix
it. I offered to rip the 4.6 out of the registry by hand, but he didn’t seem to think that was necessary, so I haven’t yet. I could not execute the new MSN7 after downloading.. I got
an error that said "error "A required resource cannot be located", nothing more. I asked if I should download a fresh IE5 because their repair tool may have missed the problem, but
they discouraged me from doing so saying that the ie5setup.exe may not work as MSN has removed related, necessary files.
They they gave up and connected me remotely. Now I have to it sign in manually through My Computer using the remote connection and launch IE after a connection has been made. I can only access my email if, to go to the hotmail site and I can no longer use messenger service.
I looked at the files that were modified at the time of the download and found two folders. One named AppPatch which contained a file named msimain.sdb. I looked up that extension and one of the possibilities was a group mail subscriber plug-in.
The only other file that showed a change was the explorer file msimgsiz.dat. I also found two other suspicious looking files “msmsgs.inf and msmsgs.PNF. I read the inf file and it
appears to be modify messenger or adding its own. Any suggestions on what else I might try would be appreciated.

Did you CTRL, ALT, Delete and END TASK on MSN MESSENGER prior to trying to install MSN7 ?

TrishConjure

MSN told me to download a new version of MSN messenger 5.0 and after I did, i was able to remove the old 4.6 version. But I still can't get MSN7 to install. I now get an error that says a resource is corrupt, but it doesn't say which one it might be. Support is now saying the is problem in either Microsoft Windows or in the IE5.5 that I am using. I have the latest windows updates so I don't think the problem is there. MSN no longer supports IE5.5 and I don't have it on disc. I do have the install for version 5.50.4134.600, but my OS has 5.50.487.2300 and if won't allow me to remove it or replace it with the older version. Am I just out of luck?

I think you said that you are running Windows 95, is that correct?

IF so, I don't think that MSN 7 (or MSN6) is compatable with Windows 95. I'm surprised that M$ didn't catch that and told you to install MSN7.

In fact, the KEY should have been that M$ no longer issues updates to Windows 95!!! Why do WE know their products and policies better than they do???

Sounds like another case of the M$ unhelpful help desk.

Well, I didn't get an e-mail... just a reoccurring and very official looking message everytime I started messenger. The type you usually get whenever there is a version update.

I wish I had read your post before I decided to autoupdate msnmessenger from 4.6 to 5.0.

It doesn't work.
"advanced INF Install"
"x error getting procedure address."

And 4.6 now refuses to uninstall.
"advanced INF Install"
"x error getting procedure address."

And it refuses to work or even do a little dance.

Should I try to remove 4.6 or just leave it alone?
Should I try installing ver 5.0 that I was able to download from: http://messenger.msn.com/Download/OS.aspx

I'm a little confused about all of this now. It almost seems like a rough nudge into doing an OS upgrade. *I'd really like to know how you have made out with all of this so far and just what "the help desk" from MS have said lately.

thanx for posting

I'm not sure how comfortable you are using regedit, but if it were me, I would remove every trace of MSN messenger I could find, both in the reg and on the HD.

Once done, d/l and install 4.5 (or 4.6...not sure which was the last one that was compatable with Win95) and re-install.

Microsoft's site should "sense" that you are running Win95 and tell you which version was the last one that is compatable with Win95.

I'm actually very comfortable with using regedit... but will admit not being familiar with all of it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE being the safest portion to tinker with - especially when removing/uninstalling programs.

I've been looking for some info on how to do a complete manual uninstall of 4.6 or earlier without much success. It probably has bits and pieces scattergunned all through the registry.

Now that information would be very handy right now.

Still looking.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That would be my thought. Uninstall MSN Messenger, delete its folder in C:\Program Files, then delete its entries in the registry. Once that's done, reboot, then try reinstalling it.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

TrishConjure

I finally got it fixed. Yes my OS is WIN95 and MSN6 (7) and 5.0 of MSN Messenger are the highest versions compatible with this system. I removed all traces of MSN Messenger, it didn't want to leave at first, but I convinced it. I took out that folder and searched the registry for any remaining files but found none. I downloaded a new copy of MSN7 from the Microsoft site and this time it installed. Then I reinstalled Messenger 5.0 and rebooted. After windows loaded and I signed on to the internet, I got an error saying that there were entries remaining on my system
from the previous version of MSN Messenger and asked if I wanted to remove them, I said yes, and now I am fine again. MSN support couldn't decide which was right, 2 said that 5.0 was the correct version, and 2 others said it was not. It is so much better talking with other users. tc

Originally posted by TrishConjure:
MSN support couldn't decide which was rignt 2 said that 5.0 was the correct version, and 2 others said it was not. It is so much better talking with other users. tc
Tell them, since they don't seem to know their own products, to check TSG for the CORRECT answer!! :D :D

Glad you got things working again.

Since my version of Msn Messenger 4.6 refuses to uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs panel - I'm interested in doing a manual removal. Any suggestions? *Especially for removing references to it in the Add/Remove Programs panel.

Also, would you think that Msn Messenger 5.0 would be compatible with IExplorer 5.50.4522.1800?? Since that "upgrade - haha" the only thing that has quit on me is Messenger.

This feels too much like work. :)

TrishConjure

I did so many things, I am not sure what really worked, but if you have not tried using the repair tool that is available on add/remove for IE5.5, I would try that first. I also did a fresh install on MSN7 which involved a lengthy download, but after that I was able to remove most of it. It was gone from add/remove, but when I signed on, I received a message saying that there was something remaining from 4.6 " it didnt say what of course" but asked it I wanted it updated, I said yes, and have not had problems since then. Good luck. tc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online