1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN Messenger problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rds_skater, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rds_skater

rds_skater Thread Starter

hey, need some help, see, my messenger will not let me or anyone on my pc to go into there MSN acount, but i can on other computers. it keeps saying i have an invalid name or my password is wrong, but its not. i started getting this problem once i put norton antivirus 2003 on my pc, i tryed to get rid of it, and i did, but messenger still doesn't work. and if i go to hotmail.com and try to get in, it still wont let me in. can someone please tell me what to do, i'm going nuts. thanks people.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

That you coincidentally installed Norton Anti-virus around the time this MSN Messenger error started is a non-issue.

Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and click the Scan Now link to run a free on-line virus scan.

Uninstall MSN Messenger; Restart your computer; reinstall MSN Messenger.

You need to be running a firewall like free Sygate from http://download.com - type, sygate, in the Search box, you must be on-line to install Sygate.

Get, install, update and run free Ad-aware (and its HexDump plug-in) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

3. rds_skater

sorry dude, didn't work, see, its not just my messenger, its my hotmail as well, that wont even work.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

What version of Windows are you running?

5. prospect

prospect

I had a problem like that once. I was trying to use the wrong password.:mad: AS you probably know. High cases and low case letters make a difference.:(

There servers mite not be working in your area also. Can you log on anywhere else? A friends house.:)

Prospect:cool:

6. rds_skater

I'm running windows 98.
    and i am using the right password and everything, cause it works at other computers.

7. ~Candy~

Can you boot to a command prompt only, and type

scanreg/restore
    and press enter

Is there a date prior to the Norton install but not too far back?

8. prospect

prospect

Do ya have any firewalls blocking ya? Something is stopping you but I can't think of what. Are you using the right email address along with your passwords at home to sign in? Are you sure your online? I just had to ask that. What ISP are you using?

9. ~Candy~

Also be sure that the date on your computer didn't get changed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice