1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN Messenger - XP - 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mdnzz, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdnzz

mdnzz Thread Starter

I am new to this site. I have searched for an answer to my problem but to no avail. I am hoping someone can help me out.

I run 98 and can send pics and files to MSN Messenger users who have XP but they cannot send pics or files to me on 98 from their XP. They used to be able to.

We have compared computers, compared settings, quizzed our ISP's (of course they all say we don't support MSN), checked proxy settings, disabled firewalls, disabled virus protection.

If you have any ideas please let us know - we are going crazy with this problem. Is it a problem peculiar only to New Zealand??? please advise.:rolleyes: :confused:

2. turipa

turipa

hi there
    yeah I have the same problem and Im from new zealand too
    I can recieve files photos etc from any system, but I cant send any files or photos
    so i would also be interested if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong
    thanks in advance

3. Mtn-Billy

Mtn-Billy

I have XP Home and run a Linksys router. And I also had the problem of being able to receive a file on Windows messager .... but not able to send one.

I had to download an upgrade/firmware patch from the linksys web site. This firmware allowed me to use an Internet Gateway where I could enable the Universal Plug and Play to work with XP.

So if you are using a router of any kind ..... I would check their website. I know Linksys had to scramble and put some thing out to work with XP

K

4. AR1Redneck

AR1Redneck

from what i understand, whihc means i could be wrong. But XP has a built in firewall and you will need to disable it in order to send files through MSN messenger.

5. Mtn-Billy

Mtn-Billy

Yes XP has a built in firewall which was my only ***** about XP when it 1st came our :mad: It suxs!

Yes you can disable it!!! .....

From my understanding .... in theory (that would be the Microsoft "how we hope it works" list) the XP firewall is supposed to configure itself based on your out going request.

Say you make a request for a connection to your buddy .... the firewall should match the incoming and outgoing request and allow it.

Well did not take me long to dump that XP firewall and use the router for incoming and zone alarms for outgoing.

But in this case with the firmware for the linksys router ... it was not the XP firewall ....... had trashed that long ago :D

check the plug and play side of this problem

Billy Girl

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice