1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSN virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Lobsta888, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobsta888

Lobsta888 Thread Starter

hi there guys,

my brother has managed to get one of our computers (not this one) infected with a new msn virus that is going around. it seems to pretty benign while msn is not open, and also for most of the time that msn is open, but at seemingly random times (i havent seen a pattern so far) it will quickly open then close chat windows (they open up, then before they even have time to load fully, they close again). the pc slows down and msn can no longer be acessed by the toolbar. upon opening task manager, i find that ms is using around 49000+kbs ram (about 20000 more than usual), but it does close easily with "end process".
    AVG keeps throwing up a window saying that it has found a virus and i keep moving it to the virus vault. in the "result/infection" column, it lists it as "Virus found Win32/CryptExe" It always it found in the temporary internet files folder, and i seem to be able to wipe them using IE's internet options (then checking to see that it got them all) (and they are all gone).

the name of the file it finds is ps.exe (not incredably helpful i know), but the url that it lists it coming from is www.sterrenkids.nl/ps/ps.exe; i have never been to the website before the infection, i checked out the main page (i.e. www.sterrenkids.nl) and it was something about telescopes but it was in dutch or something, then i went to the (www.sterrenkids.nl/ps) directory and it was one of those "parent directory" thingos. another url that looks suspicious in the temp inet files is www.jeroenmaas.nl/path/gen6.exe.

When it attempts to spread itself, it says something along the lines of "i edited these photos to make them look funny, have a look" or "here, i have some photos to send you, i just have to load them"

AVG seems to be able to isolate the virus, but it is spreading through the temporary internet files folders of all the users on the computer, even if they are not using msn.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike thorp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice