1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msnmetal.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by typer2, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. typer2

typer2 Thread Starter

Windows XP. When I click on the MSN butterfly I get the message, "Unable to load required library msnmetal.dll. Error code 0x000003e7

MSN will not load and Internet Explorer will not load.

Yesterday I changed the parent controls in MSN to the new familysafe program, then deleted it because it hung everything up.

Thanks so much!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you change the skin, too? Just a guess, but msnmetal.dll sounds like something to do with the GUI.

What do you mean you "deleted" it? What did you delete?

3. typer2

typer2 Thread Starter

I uninstalled the familysafe program that MSN sent to replace the other parenteral controls they used to have.

I am not compute savy, what is a skin? Is is something to do with the appearance?

I have also now uninstalled and installed MSN 3 times, to no avail.

Then I defragged, but probably did the ultimate gaff, when I returned 8 hours later, it was all stuck and I could get no response, so I turned it off manually at the power strip. Now, it will not start up, just runs the Microsoft Windows XP page, but won't go to sign in.

4. typer2

typer2 Thread Starter

Maybe a tad of progress, I am so impatient with computers. Eventually it ran a check disk? and then went to the sign in screen. I signed in and left it to run (I'm learning), it went through loading up settings and then came upon errors and said that windows had to shut down, so it shut down, restarted and now I patiently wait while it is reloading settings at the sign in screen. Just thought I would provide more info as it comes my way. Thank you so much for simply reading this, the out on a limb that is going to break with computers is just not fun for me. We use our computer for an on-line school and it throws the whole daily life into hold while we wait for it to behave. Again, thank you.

5. typer2

typer2 Thread Starter

continuing....it restarted, presented log in screen, I logged in. It pops up with "could not reconnect all network drivers, then it had application errors: failed to initialize 0xc0000006 for AVGtray.exe and ctfmon.exe. It then shows box with System shutdown, NT Authority\System with DCOM Server Process Launch and the system shuts down, then goes through the whole thing again, although getter faster at it each time.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try running chkdsk /r on that drive (from the booted XP CD or the Run box and then reboot. It will probably take some time, but may recover some damaged files.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice