msnp32.dll

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobpeacock

When I start Windows get error message: Unable to load dynamic link library: msnp32.dll
I followed instructions in microsoft Q243431 and extracted the file per Q129605.
When this failed to resolve, I followed the next instruction to register the file but when I try to run it I get the message: Load Library(msnp32.dll)failed. Get last error return 0x00000002.
Am at the limit of my expertise - can you help?

What version of Windows are you running and the date and size of msnp32.dll.

Let us know. Dan-O

Bryan

Bryan
Do you have a file name msnet32.dll on your system in the c:\windows\system directory?
Have your ever had Compuserve ISP software loaded on your system? Do you have more than one msnp32.dll file on your system?

If you don't have msnet32.dll on your system then extract it from your W98 CD.

Start>Run key in SFC and press enter. Click on the bottom bullet titled "Extract a system file" and key in msnet32.dll in the box, insert your W98 CD and click Start. Enter d:\win98\ in the "Restore From" box and enter c:\windows\system in the "Save File In" box. Then click OK. After the extract is done restart Windows.

Also check for the existance of these other files and extract them in the same way if you don't have them on your harddrive dfs.vxd, vnetsup.vxd and vredir.vxd

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 10-27-1999).]

bobpeacock

I do have msnet32.dll in my win98/systems directory.
I have never had Compuserve on this machine.
I have only one copy of msnp32.dll and I had to get that by extraction(the other one had "gone")

Bryan

Bryan
Try extracting a new copy of msnet32.dll from your CD. You do mean it is in c:\Windows\System when you say W98/System, right? The msnp32.dll is also in c:\Windows\System too, right? Did you extract the msnp32.dll from your W98 CD or did you get it from somewhere else? Also make sure you have the other files I mentioned in your C:\Windows\system folder. If not extract them.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 10-27-1999).]

bobpeacock

First - yes, I did mean that both files were in my c:\windows\system directory.
Next, I did extract the msnet32.dll and, happy to say that has cured the problem - thank you.
BTW still curious as to why, if the problem as it appears to have been, was with the msnet32.dll, did the error message identify msnp32.dll?
Whatever, I really appreciate you jumping in and resolving this for me - thanks again.

Bryan

Bryan
It is a deceptive message to say the least. The real problem with msnp32.dll is it needs the Windows version of the file msnet32.dll to function, but it does not tell you that. Something on your system replaced the msnp32.dll and msnet32.dll file and that was the cause for the error. I just wish Microsoft would fix the error message to be a little more imformative. Most people end up reinstalling Windows to fix the problem, when it is only msnet32.dll that is needed. Anyway glad you fixed it. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 10-28-1999).]

I am putting this one in the archives, as it has come up before, and I'm sure it will again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online