1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSOUTLOOK/OE HTMLEMAIL LINKS not working

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by chicobico, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chicobico

chicobico Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'm trying to send an html email that contains links (ahref).

When I send an html email with Outlook to my Outlook Express client, the html links do not work. However, when I send myself the email with Outlook and read it through Outlook, all the links work just fine.

The links also work when sent to a gmail account.

I also took the same template and sent it using Outlook Express and sent to Outlook Express & Outlook. Everything worked fine.

Why is this happening and how can I fix it so the links work in Outlook Express when sending from Outlook?

Thanks for the help!
    chicobico

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Go to OE, Tools, Options, Read. Check if there is a checkmark in the box marked "Read all messages in plain text." If there is, uncheck it.

3. chicobico

chicobico Thread Starter

thanks for the reply slurpee55...

The checkbox you are speaking about is "unchecked".

I did not think that would be too much of an issue because I there are some html emails that I can receive without a problem. (i.e. when I send an email to myself with OE and and read it with the same program)

Sounds odd to me, but I'm sure there is an explanation, and hopefully a fix to this.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Another possibility would be under the Security tab - block images and other external content in HTML email. IF you send from you to you in OE, I guess they would not be external links...pretty sure it must be an OE problem.

5. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

duh, thanks eb - I read right past the href line - assumed it was just an HTML problem, although I agree that it is a problem with OE.
    Right-click on the email in OE, go to Properties and then to Message Source. Make sure that the <a href> (sometext) </a> - the open and close of the link are both in there.

7. chicobico

chicobico Thread Starter

AH ha! Looks like you're all bringing me closer to the answer.

I tried all the above advise, but still not luck. BUT, I checked the source of the received email and it seems that all the html tags have been stripped! There are no tags, except for
    an http reference link to the two images that are in the email.

I should mention that my OL email account uses a different mailserver as my OE account. I considered that this problem (stripping of html tags in OE) could be happening at the server level of my OE account. If this is so, why is it that I can receive html email from other parties?

8. chicobico

chicobico Thread Starter

I just setup OL to read/receive emails from the same mailserver that I thought was stripping the html tags.

All links worked when sending from OL to OL. But OL to OE, still the same problem.
    Maybe it isn't a mailsever issue afterall....

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

Wandering afar from my expertise here - could it be done by a spam filter? If you go into the settings and uncheck OE from your programs (assuming that you have one that filters OE messages) and then test html links...?

10. chicobico

chicobico Thread Starter

I've already tried temporarily disabling all firewall, spam, and email filtering software. No luck yet.

I appreciate the effort, slurpee55.
    Cheers!

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice