Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mssvr.exe pf alert

824 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  voodoukween 
#1 ·
after updating XP to the latest patch to block the hole where programs were downloading themselves despite Norton Internet Security system, i had two days of peace and quiet until yesterday when i began to get a new Norton Security Alert indicated HIGH RISK that "mssvr.exe is attempting to access the internet", action recommended = Block

this is happening every 1 - 2 minutes now

the program is listed as C:\WINDOWS\mssvr.exe and appeared on my computer last night all on its' own

i am unable to delete it..."access denied"

how can i get rid of this nuisance?

voody

#2 ·
You are doing the correct thing in blocking it in my view. After some searching, I came up empty handed on mssvr.exe . Can you find it in your Task Manager and check it's properties?

It is usually not a good sign when no information is known on a '.exe' application. Have you added any programs in the past couple days?

#3 ·
thanks for your help, BillC

i, too, ran some searches and came up with nothing

i can find the file by running a search on my computer and the properties tell me nothing more than when it was installed, the latest activation and that it is an application

it does not show up in managed tasks

i have not installed any new programs for quite some time, the latest downloads are only microsoft updates and security patches

any help you offer is greatly appreciated

#5 ·
You may not have gotten rid of it. If it comes back, you might try deleting it again, disable system restore and then reboot to see if it is truely gone.

I would also like to know more. It could just be a really new application but we don't know if it is good or bad. I hate to say it, but when you get an alert from your firewall on a new program that you did not install, that is not generally a good thing. {except of course that you had the firewall to stop it}

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.