1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSWorks 6.0

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Harry J, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harry J

Harry J Thread Starter

Is there any method to get past all the walk-thru-windows in MSWorks 6.0 "Tasks" to obtain the window with the standard task bar?

2. brianF

brianF

Moving to business apps, maybe you will get a better response

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Harry: I've got 5.0 but want to try to help. What's on the "standard taskbar"? Are you talking about being in a document, spreadsheet, or what?

4. Harry J

Harry J Thread Starter

Thanks. The document task is the goal. Specificly, I want to access the document window that contains the taskbar and to ignore all the steps that MSWorks has added to the 6.0 to help the neophyte write a letter, etc. In the old 4.0, one could go directly to the document window (with the taskbar AND "Files" menu) where one could then access "Open" and get an existing file or a blank page at once, without all the little steps that aggravate an experienced user.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Here's what I'm thinking, Harry.

I took a look and didn't find anything about how to launch the word processing component from Works with a command line, or without first opening Works. So here's what I'd do to fake it out.

Create a Works Word document and save it to your desktop. Close the file. Right-click it on your desktop and hit Properties. Make the file Read-only.

Then, whenever you want to create a doc, just double-click the icon on your desktop. If you try to save it over top of itself (which you don't want to do or you'll have to recreate your shortcut again), then it'll tell you it's read-only.

Whatcha think? Let me know if it works/doesn't work.

6. Harry J

Harry J Thread Starter

Nope, that's not what I'm trying to do.....I really want to be able to "Open" an existing file, one that does not necessarily appear in the "History" list which only keeps the most currently used files. I want to be able to use MSWorks 6.0 like the old 4.0 but still have the newer bells and whistles. Why did MS think that they were making it foolproof with all the wizard stuff? They almost made it user-proof! Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice