1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MTU Settings Buffalo Router - Please help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by anna1982, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anna1982

anna1982 Thread Starter

Hello

You guys are my last hope...

I have been using a Buffalo WMR-G54 router for the last 3 years, and can't honestly say I have ever had a problem. I dabble in a bit of MSN messenger and have been using the Beta version of live messenger for about 6-8 months. I since noticed I had no security set on the router...so I set up WEP, which seemed easy, except, the router kept then cutting out...so i toolk the secuirty off again. Siince then, I cannot use windows live messenger, only the old standard one that comes with windows, also i cannot visit sites such as myspace and bebo. I have hard reset the router now on several occasions.

I have read online that I need to change the MTU settings on my router, but I cannot find how to.

If you know, or have any suggestions to my annoying problem then please help

SO ITS THIS SIMPLE - I CAN ACCESS THE NET FINE. CANNOT USE MSN MESSENGER LIVE OR MYSPACE OR BEBO >PLEASE HELP
    Anna

2. hoghead

hoghead

I would first suggest getting back to defaults. There should be a button either hardware on the router that must be depressed for several seconds and/or a restore factory defaults button on one of the router management pages. My experience with loss of signal is due to the WEP setup. Your router and wireless computer may not be exchanging the credentials properly - good chance if turning WEP off allows reconnection. As far as the MTU I don't think you should have to mess with it. Windows (probably Linux too) dynamically changes it depending on communications issues with TCP - packet delivery gurantee. Try upgrading to WPA2. You can also (probably not your problem) download Netstumbler to see if there are other routers close using the same channel or just change the channel. Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice