1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Muffled Sound in PC

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Sellord, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sellord

Sellord Thread Starter

Some days ago I started noticing that the sound coming from my PC suffered from some kind of muffled distortion. I use earphones and theyre perfectly fine, since they work properly with any other device.

Windows 7 x64 (Completely updated according to automatic updates)
    Realtek High Definition Audio

This kind of muffled sound occurs at random times in a video, song, etc, I honestly cant specify when does the distortion occur, its mainly a few times at random.

I connect my earphones to an audio entry in the volume and bass control wheel of my speakers and sub woofer.

What have I done recently that could have affected the sound?

-As I had said before, the earphones work perfectly fine, but the sound distortion occurs with all the earphones I have tried. So discard this.

-Recently I removed my speakers' cables which are connected to the sub-woofer, and the sound problem has started occuring closely to when I plugged them back again. This made me think that I messed up with the cables connected to my sound system, but unfortunately this isnt the problem, since when I connect my earphones to the PC tower audio entry, the muffled distortion occurs aswell.

Basically I must discard the effectof any peripherals and therefore believe that the problem revolves to the sound card

-Recently an update of my nVidia graphics card was released and I downloaded it: GEFORCE 285.62 DRIVER. This update came with: "Installs HD Audio driver version 1.2.23.3". I have no idea if this could be the problem source.

-Thinking that it was an internal problem, I decided to download the newest Realtek HD driver: R2.66, which had no effect on the problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot say if the sound problem surged just after any of this recent events/changes occured.
    The sound muffle occurs very little, but its pretty annoying.

Thanks

2. ringowheelin

ringowheelin

Not sure what help this might be, but keep it in mind while you troubleshoot:

If the audio entering an amplifier is too high, it will muffle. FOr ex: your computer sound is turned up, sending high amounts of ausio to powered-external speakers. those speakers will then have bad distortion, mostly at high olume points in the ausio track. (also sometimes at high bass points). try turning your pc volume quite low and see if the problem presents with standard, unamplified headphones directly connected to the pc. If this solves it then it is an amplifying problem almost guranteed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice