1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Muffled start-up sound on W2K!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by janlafata, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I am working on my neighbors computer. It's one I gave her, but I am always trying to get the best performance out of this old thing. It's a running a Mitac motherboard from a Compaq computer with a 500MHz processor, 253MB's of RAM, an ATI PCI video card and an AOpen PCI sound card.

I just reformatted and put Windows 2000 on there. It's a bit slow for the system, but W98 is so unstable and I had little success with that.

The installation went fine. I even updated the BIOS. Now it does have onboard audio, but disabled it, in one way or another, in the BIOS (It still shows up in device manager though for some reason, but that's now disabled)

I also ran into putting in possibly a hacked or virus-infected program on it and it, of course, screwed things up. Luckliy I was able to reload everything and get on with the installation of some other programs.

The problem is, that during start-up, the Windows start-up sound is slightly muffled. I tried putting in a different wave start-up, but it did the same thing. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the sound card either, since I tested the wav in "Sounds and Multimedia" in Control Panel. It sounded fine there.

I also messed around with the advanced features in that category and changed things like hardware acceleration and such, but I really don't know what I'm doing there.

So it appears to me that the problem is in the startup boot sequence itself, right? Or what else could it be? One thing I am going to do after I am through writing this is to run a SFC and see if that helps. All other suggestions are welcome.

By the way, I haven't installed antivirus yet so I am sure a scan would help too. And it is all cleaned out in the registry, defragged and everything else.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!