Multi-boot Win10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcguy9441

Hi,

I want to install a fresh Win10 but NOT overlay the current OS just yet. I want to take my time reinstalling all of dozens of apps while still using the current system. Current system is flaking on me every month or so necessitating an image restore. It dates from July 29, 2015 so may have accumulated some cobwebs and dry rot. Windows update errors off too. I currently have a Win7 too for non-Win10 apps, so I'm talking a multi-boot system with a 2nd Win10 option. I use EasyBCD to manage dual-boot now.

Problem is after downloading the latest Win10 ISO from MS and starting the install there's no option for "advanced" or "special" install where I get to pick the HDD or partition to install it to. It seems to want to overlay the existing OS on "C". I created a dedicated partition on a 2T drive for it. I just get what's below. How do I direct the install to a drive other than "C"?

2nd question: If I did continue with the menu options below and select "keep files and apps", does it really keep all installed apps as currently installed, or just the installation .exe files on disk? Of course many of my apps will not not have install .exe's laying around.

Thanks for any tips.

windows reinstall options.JPG

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't see this working since, in effect, you'll be looking to use your license key twice.

pcguy9441

Hmm, I wondered about that. But on same hardware? Seems that should be legal.

I guess I could trick it by saving ISO as bootable to a thumb drive (don't have double sided DVDs), temporarily disconnect SSD "C" drive, then install to target partition. A lot of work.

On reinstalling and keeping all apps, some googling revealed you can do an "in-place" upgrade that appears to do what I want. Have to do it from an ISO, not the builtin recovery option. That's where I got the idea apps will be lost. I'll just do the in-place thing.

Thanks for reply.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think MS would still frown upon this, regardless of the exact-same hardware.

There have been times when I've had to do a reset on a machine, and I've asked it to keep the apps and personal files in place. It's worked fine for me.

To get the ball rolling, all I've done is left-click on the Windows Start button and type Reset PC. Click on the Reset this PC app after that to begin the process.

there's no option for "advanced" or "special" install where I get to pick the HDD or partition to install it to
Windows 10 is not installed the same way as Windows 7.

You can pick the drive but not partition unless the drive was manually formatted.

Which ever drive you pick you should be ready to reformat it completely if there was no Windows 10 installed on that drive before.

The most advanced option you can get is by pressing SHIFT + F10
But it's not recommended except to run customized diskpart script which will perform formatting adjusted for drive size and your desired partition layout.

EDIT:
I created a dedicated partition on a 2T drive for it. I just get what's below. How do I direct the install to a drive other than "C"?
I think this option is available only for boot from USB.
The drive must contain min. 4 partitions not just the one where you plan to install OS:
1. System
2. MSR
3. Windows
4. Recovery

Like this:

dep-win10-partitions-uefi.png

Last edited:

pcguy9441

OK, thanks for the replies!

Mission accomplished! I ended up just plunking it over the current OS on "C" from the ISO file. I did not know it was possible to do this and retain all installed apps. It worked great! Next time (hopefully no next time) I will do the start menu left click thing.

Case closed over and out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online