Multi figure caption number styles in 1 Word doc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

indyrose

My boss has just asked me to do something in Word 2003 that I'm not sure I can technically do. He wants the format for figures to have three different numbering styles -- to have lower-case Roman numerals in the introduction (Figure iii), regular Arabic in the body (Figure 3), and alpha in the appendix (Figure C). I don't think Word 2003 can automatically keep those straight.

Some of my docs have 50-75 figures in them, and they go through some extensive editing before publishing. It would be a nightmare to try to keep track of them manually, but I can't seem to get them to have the three different styles that he wants. I tried using section breaks, hoping I could switch there, but the caption numbering or style didn't "reset" like I was hoping.

(Yes, I know, Word is not a good tool for this, but it's the one my boss insists I use.)

Indyrose

As complex as your doc sounds, it might be easier to make it in 3 parts ans then merge them. But, at least on a simplistic level, what you are asking to do is possible.

Attachments

indyrose

Thanks for the reply!

So, you're suggesting that instead of having an auto-figure for a caption, I should use a numbered style? Will it be a problem with other outlines, as I also use numbered outlines in the doc as steps of a procedure.

Indyrose

It just might cause trouble - and that makes it something I can't really answer.
So I am going to send a note to a friend or two who know Word a lot better than I do.
You might want to mark this as unsolved until they get a chance to read your problem.

Anne Troy

Anne
(Yes, I know, Word is not a good tool for this, but it's the one my boss insists I use.)
Bite your tongue!!

All you need to do is stop attaching the captions, and start using 3 different styles. Instead of "insert caption", just type the name of the figure, and place Figurei or Figure1 or FigureA style on it. (Set them to be Numbered, not Outline numbered.)

I also use a style for my graphics, and use the property "Keep with next" on it so it doesn't lose it's figure caption.

Hmmm, I have a copy, but really, really haven't tried the ribbon setup (or tried to learn it.)
But I guess Open Office is going to copy the ribbon soon, so there won't even be that to use.
I think I may have a copy of Word for Dos stuck away somewhere.... :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online