1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multi-homing Gateway Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dubya008, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dubya008

dubya008 Thread Starter

we have a problem here at work with the internet connection. I am wondering if any one has any advice

We have cable coming into a Zyxel Presitge Modem
    We also have DSL coming into a Westel modem

we have a multi-homing WAN gateway router that is "supposed" to take both (DSL, Cable) and service a switch

we have a 16 port switch that is giving all the computers their internet connection.

The problem is this:
    the Dual WAN gateway is not giving internet connection to the switch. We have tried everything we can think of to get this working.

I was hoping some one would have some advice to point us in the proper direction.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Let me guess....is this a Netgear router you're dealing with?

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Your post is unclear as to where the break is. Are you using the router to provide dhcp? If so is that side working?

Can you access the routers web interface from a pc?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The exact make/model of all the components would be a good start here.

5. dubya008

dubya008 Thread Starter

the cable modem works as does the DSL modem.

We have discovered that the problem lies with the Gateway.
    We can access the web router interface from a laptop; the problem is the settings.

the gateway is an Ovislink MH200

6. zx10guy

Not sure how that router works, but there should be some configuration on there where you have to set thigns like priority load weighting to tell the router how to path network connections based on load. The other method is to set the route pathing based on failover/fault tolerance. If one of the links fails, the other is used as a backup to maintain internet connectivity. The last alternative is round robin but I don't see many routers configured that way.

7. dubya008

dubya008 Thread Starter

I think the problem is the specific settings for WAN1 and WAN2.
    WAN1 will be cable
    WAN2 will be DSL

The router will be providing DHCP

8. zx10guy

It's more than just setting up each WAN port. The router has to know how to handle traffic from the inside going out. You need to tell the router which path it should take to get to the internet. I doubt the router out of the box just does a round robin in the path it picks for each session. Are you running any router protocols? BGP has built in to it's protocol the ability to load balance connections based on things like bandwidth and latency.

9. dubya008

dubya008 Thread Starter

We had a guy come to fix it and he said there was an IP address that the previous employee set up to remote all traffic to his pc. and that was causing the issue. The router was trying to handle the DCHP but could not because a static IP address was already entered in another setting of the router. Thank you all for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice