1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multi-partitioning 1 hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragonkx, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

My problem is that I have a 500 gig sata hard drive, and im trying to run windows xp. i want to split that hard drive into 2 partitions, im guessing like 120 for 1 and the rest for the other partition, but here is my problem, I split the hard drive into like around 130 gigs and installed windows xp and i do not see the rest of it anymore. what did i do wrong? did I need a program ? I even went into computer management/diskmanagement and i still dont see any other space availble on that hard drive. do i need to remove everything and start over or is it that sata cant be split?

2. Compiler

Compiler

In Disk Management - you need to click on the empty space and right-click CREATE PARTITION.

I tend to create my partitions during the XP install... but you can do it later as above.

3. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

I do know what your talking about, its just that i dont see the amount where it says free space on disk management anymore, could it be that i cant do it on a sata hard drive? i think that windows xp only allows a maximum hard drive space for a primary hard drive but where did the rest of my free space go , do i have to start over with installation everything, this is quite confusion how over 300 gigs just disappear.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

It should definitely list the entire size of the drive (465.76GB) in Disk Management no matter how its split up. If you only see the 130 total...might be something wrong with the drive. There was another thread here once upon a time with a similar problem, no matter what, it only showed 128 or so GB on a much larger drive. He ended up returning it.

You could try a do-over, might have to sooner or later, but you could also try looking at the drive with other software. Gparted live CD could be used to confirm the smaller drive reading or refute what windows is saying. If it sees things differently you could also use GParted to claim the rest of the drive in a second partition non-destructively to the other and see if that alters the detection in Disk management. Ultimately it has to work correctly there though so if it persists as a smaller drive after that and after a redo, it wold be time to ship it back.

5. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

well when i first installed it i found and ran the windows xp installation disk it gave me around 1,900,000 mb of memory something like that and i created a partition of around 900,000 mb, while formatting around 1 percent, then i realized that it didnt look like because around 1,900,000 is somewhere close to 2 tb. i do not know what happened i restarted the computer and while it was formatting at 1 percent. i powered it back on and did it again but it only gave me like a total of 130 gigs of memory to install, there was no other free space. on the first start up screen it even says that my sata hard drive is a 500 gig hard drive, did i kill it lol

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Do you have 2 gigs of memory installed? If so you might have been seeing that instead of your hard drive where the 1,900,000mb (kB) is concerned. If the bios (start up?) screen is reading 500 you should be alright I think if you redo things, though its never good to absolutely trust that the heads will park quickly enough when the power goes down during a format.
    It depends some on what version of XP you are using since previous to SP2 (or 1) it can only see about the first 137 gigs of a drive. I would try using GParted to reset (recondition) the drive to unallocated space again (deleting any partitions there now) and then either try again with a Windows install or just use GParted to create your two partitions and format them to NTFS prior to installing Windows again.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    In Computer Management do you see any Unallocated Space? This is where you would make the second partition.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What brand is the 500 Gb drive?

9. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

I have tried this with ide hard drives and it works fine breaking one hard drive into mutiple partitions but this is the first time im trying it with a sata and its ticking the hell out of me, im losing patience and yes i did try computer management it says nothing about unallocated space. Well i dont think the partition when it gave me 1,900,000 could be the ram because i think i only got 1 gig in it at the moment, but i am running it on service pack 1 i beleive, will service pack 2 or 3 give me this problem? Anyways i dont even see that high number anymore anyways but im stuck with only 130 gigs out of 500. This is a brand new western digital sata drive that i bought a few weeks ago, this is the first time this drive had a partition in it.

10. Compiler

Compiler

What does BIOS say about the hard drive?

Setting up a SATA drive is no different from a PATA drive. But if the drive or motherboard is defective - you could have such problems.

11. eGuyz

eGuyz

What brand is your disk

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  13. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

well i'll try that program when i get home, but the i remember the bios saying its a 500 gig even on the when the computer first starts up and on that bios screen thats what it says.

14. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

Well it turns out it was what i thought it was, it just didnt detect my 500 gig hard drive because i was still on service pack 1 when i upgraded to service pack two i didnt have that problem anymore in disk management i saw the extra space that was unallocated. thanks for all your help

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice