1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiboot 98/ME/XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sinterklaas, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinterklaas

sinterklaas Thread Starter

A triple-boot 98SE/ME/XP, is this possible?
    And if so, how??

2. brianF

brianF

3. sinterklaas

Thanks BrianF. Should have told you that I did read this article (and many others). Sorry!
    I agree that it is a little 'overdone', but this triple could be very usefull in my lessons, so that I can teach my students on my own computer, on the OS they are used to at home.

What I did:
    - make a primary partition C: with FDISK and install 98SE
    - install Partition Magic on C: and make two other prim. partitions, D: and E: (and also an extended part. with logical station F:)
    - install XP on D:

So far it works, but when I try to install ME on E:, it fails, because ME only wants to install on C:.

What can be the solution?

4. brianF

brianF

sorry don't use partition magic. I would think you should install winxp last
    Hmmm have to look around, don't know if I remember where I saw it.

sorry, can't remember where I saw it.

5. sinterklaas

brianF, you are right about installing XP last. I tried both options, 98/ME/XP and 98/XP/ME, and the problem is that I can not specify a drive for ME. It can only be installed on C:

BTW, if you don't use Partition Magic, what do you use instead? FDISK does not allow more primary partitions, or am I wrong?

6. brianF

brianF

You can set the partition active later if you want.

I installed 98 on c of my 1st hard drive, installed 2k on D of my second hard drive. windows bootloader handles the rest.

Now my son was triple booting but one of the os's was linux, that don't count.

Not sure how you do it with three ms os's

Try doing this,

Make all your partitions first
    Install xp first, then install either me or 98 from within xp, in other words boot up xp, then run the setup for the other os from there.

7. sinterklaas

Microsoft says that you have to install 98 first, then ME and XP last, so, I did not dare to install XP first... ':rolleyes:'
    If you say so, I'll try!
    Thanks for your help so far.
    Tomorrow I'll let you know if it works.

8. deanas

deanas

Hi all
    I haven't used partition magic either, but is it possible to
    use partition magic to hide the other partitions?
    At one time I installed win3.1, win95, win98, and
    linux all on one computer by using linux boot loader
    and linux cfdisk to hide each partition as I was installing
    them. While hidden windows will only see the dos
    partitions so even if the partition is the 2nd partition
    windows will call the seen partition c.
    I could be wrong but I don't think you can use an extended partition for any windows os. ( that is you won't be able
    to install the os on an extended or logical partition)

9. sinterklaas

Deanas, Yes, it is possible to hide partitions with Partition Magic. However, installing PM on C in Win98 means that I can not hide C while working on it.

It is also possible to install (at least) XP on an extended (logical) partition, but that will not help me installing ME after 98.

Let me try to explain again:

- I managed to make 3 primary partitions (C,D,E) and 1 logical station (F, for backup) in an extended partition.

- Installing 98 on C is easy

- Microsoft says that you have to install ME before XP, but when trying this, ME overwrites 98 on C, because there is no option to choose D

- My version of Partition Magic only runs on 98 (which is on C), so I can not hide C because I'm working on it.

- It is possible to install 98 on C, and after that XP on E, but it is against the advice of Microsoft, and -more important!- this will not help me installing ME on D.

Conclusion: forget about the triple. I think I can manage that myself. What I really need to know is how to install ME on D, after installing 98 on C. ':confused:'

(trying brianF's solution now - I'll let you know what happens)

10. sinterklaas

I'm trying for days now, without success...

This is what was most successfull so far:
    - backup files (!)
    - delete all partitions
    - boot with cdrom XP, make new primary partition C (fat32) and install XP on C
    - make two new prim. partitions with XP (D=ME, fat32; E=XP, NTFS) and rename C=98
    - boot with bootdisk, FORMAT C
    - install 98 on C, ME on D and XP on E.

Restarting the computer shows a bootmenu with XP and ME, BUT NO 98!!

(Yes, I can set 98 active using FDISK, but I don't want to use FDISK every time I have to change the operating system. I know myself - it's too risky. Besides that, I bought my new 60GB computer for a more sophisticated use...)

Is there please someone who can tell me how to obtain a boot menu with all the available operating systems together?

Any help would be very, very appreciated.

11. brianF

brianF

You may need a third party boot manager, check this one, I am not sure if it will work but it's worth a look

http://www.acronis.com/

12. deanas

deanas

I thought partition magic had a boot loader program.
    Like I said I never used it, but if I had pm I'd spend
    a little time reading the manual because I would
    think even though it's an older version, it would
    still work as a boot loader.

13. sinterklaas

Deanas, do you mean 'RTFM'? Well, in fact I did (I always do), and that is why I know that my 4.01 is the only PM-version which does not include a boot manager. If life was that simple... (please don't take that too personal - I'm just a little exhausted after trying to install WIN for days over and over again)

brianF: you are right again! I made a phonecall to Microsoft this afternoon, was sent to my vendor because XP was pre-installed, and... guess what? In spite of all Microsofts promisses in the knowledge banks (? forgot the exact name), it is NOT possible to gain access to 98, ME and XP at the same time with the XP Boot Loader. Because 98 and ME use the same boot instructions, a third party boot manager has to be used to 'trap' the boot process. First to chose between 98 and ME, then between the chosen and XP.

So, I guess I have to buy :mad: (or borrow :p ) PM 7.0.

Thank you both for your support!

:)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice